What's new

Narrowed it down to HK AVR-325 or Pioneer 43TX, any thoughts? (1 Viewer)

So I upped my budget a bit and have read almost every thread concerning the HK AVR-325, Pioneer 43TX, and Sony 4ES and I think I want to choose between the HK and Pioneer. Everytime I think I've reached a decision I read something that sways me back. This will predominantly be for home theater but for music in the future as well. Any thoughts on this? I'm leaning toward the HK but the Pioneer seems to have more features. Thanks!

Don Barduca

Stunt Coordinator
The Pioneer and Sony definately perform excellent with HT, likely because their sonic characteristic lends itself from neutral to bright. The HK on the other hand can sound too warm for HT (on some movies) but that characteristic definately makes listening to music for an extended time period easy on the ears. Which is probably the sum of all the info. you have read thus far. Demo them if possible and if not rule out those that don't have features you CANNOT live without. Away from other choices your ears will likely become accustomed to each anyway.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
First thing is to Demo them all. After I looked around I picked up the HK AVR-225 for myself. I just didn't need the 7.1 channel and a multi-zone out... it wasn't worth my extra money so I stuck with the 225.

Also, I don't think the HK sounds warm at all, sounds more neutral to me out of all of the receievers mentioned above, but that could just be me.

Other reason I took the HK was because of the easy setup and the nifty front panel that is just an eye grabber. I would go for the HK in a heart-beat but you should go and take a listen to them all. I' m sure there is a place aorund you where you can demo those recievers.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
The Pioneer and Sony definately perform excellent with HT, likely because their sonic characteristic lends itself from neutral to bright.
I have the Sony 4ES and if anything, it's more on the side of neutral. It does real well with movies though. The moment I put my 4ES up for sale, I encountered "sellers remorse" during the last few evenings while watching movies. In regards to music, I don't think the Sony is too bright at all - and my tweeters are pretty bright to start with.

I've demoed the 4ES and HK but I'm so new to this that I can't really tell the difference. I recently came across the 43tx but haven't got to demo it. My reasoning for asking for thoughts on this is that after I own a receiver for awhile I want to be able to tell what makes a receiver what and that down the road I will have made a good choice between one of these units If it helps I plan on pairing said receiver with the JBL NSP1 for now (to make Phil happy : ) Just kidding ) and later grab a pair of N38IIs to complete the 7.1 setup. No sub yet but rest assured it will be an SVS. I've seen alot of people on these forums with this setup (at least the 325 and nsp1) and they seem to be happy with it. The reason I'm not considering the 525 is the fan horror stories. Apparently the 325 is different, even tho it has a fan. I abhor loud fans.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I'm not considering the 525 is the fan horror stories. Apparently the 325 is different, even tho it has a fan. I abhor loud fans.
I think there are a few reasons for the fan running a lot on the AVR-525:

1) People are using the extra power of the amp a bit more ... and creating more heat.

2) Also, some others could be running 4 Ohm speakers, which will put even more demand on the amps of the 525 -- causing the fan to run.

Like you, I don't like the fan noise either. I was obsessed with making my computer nearly silent by purchasing "noise killing" fans in addition to putting dampening material in the case.

In your case, just ensure that you install the receiver in such an area that it gets enough ventilation. Follow what the manual recommends.

[quick edit:] - Then again, there's always the AVR-7200 which doesn't have fans. ;)

Vincent_S

Second Unit
If you can't tell a difference between the Sony ES and the H/K. I would go with the Sony ES. If it's new you will get the 5 year warranty that comes with the ES line.

Don Barduca

Stunt Coordinator
People either notice small things like a fan kicking in or they don't. No matter how many say it's not a big deal it always bothers me. For that reason I myself ruled out the HK525 even though I really liked the L7 feature.

For me it came down to...the Sony 4ES and the Pioneer 45tx. I choose the 45tx because I really liked the MCACC, and because a magazine review said that it slightly edged out their previous year's "under $1000 benchmark receiver", the Sony DA5ES, which happened to be replaced by the DA4ES & DA7ES. I was all ready to purchase the 5ES when it was discontinued and I could no longer get my hands on it.

The 4ES lost a bit of power and 'presence' over the 5ES but added a 7th channel (5ES was 6.1) and a couple other features. The 43tx is the same as the 45tx guts wise, minus the auto MCACC. Truly, either is great.

I choose the 45tx if that says anything, but the $125 dollar saving getting the 4ES was awful tempting.

I know little about "reference level" Would I be able to listen to movies at this level with the sytem I proposed a few posts up? Assume I would be using the HK 325, 43tx, or 4ES

Drew_W

Screenwriter
The 43TX and 45TX are discontinued now, they have been replaced by the 53 and 55TX. This means that your local Pioneer Elite dealer should be able to offer you AMAZING deals on their remaining stock. I got offered a never used (just put on display to be gawked at) 43TX for 1000CAN$.

I've never heard the 43TX, only the 47TX playing the second Harry Potter movie. However, I'm a happy H/K owner, running the AVR225 in my bedroom system. The power specs are rated with all channels driven, and although they may seem low, the 225 has enough power to push speakers of average sensitivity (high 80s +). The 325 has more features (most notably, 7.1 amplification and preouts for all channels), but puts out just the same as the 225. Both very good, but consider the step up to the 525, I don't think the price difference is all that much. Much more power, bass management of analog inputs and a remote whose buttons light up a greenish blue (which is pretty cool when you see it).

I've said my piece...I'm just curious to hear what prices you can get this stuff at. Here in Canada, H/Ks are incredibly overpriced.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks