What's new

Mitsub 55807 vs Tosh TW56X81 (1 Viewer)

Toby Flanigan

Auditioning
I am currently debating on buying either of these two TV's. Price is about the same, Mitsub = $2500 and Tosh = $2300.
I am not sure of the differences between the two to tell the truth. I was fairly pleased with the special "stretch" mode of the Mitsubishi, used to play standard 4:3 format into the 16X9 screen. I have a complete HT system, so I am not concerned about speaker quality at all. I actually do not know when I will actually use the Digital portion of the TV, since I do not plan on buying a decoder at this time. I am just moving into a new house, and have been cleared to buy a large screen TV. I currently watch approx 80% DirectTV and 20% DVD. I plan on doing digital soon, I just am waiting for a few more programming choices.
I think I am making the right decision on buying one of these TV's instead of the 4:3 standard rear projector for $1700-$1900, right?
I currently have a Mitsubishi 27", which I have had for about 7 years, but it has not been the best set ever. I have had it repaired for white drag across the screen twice, and it still is not that good. I am not totally against buying another, especially since I have read so many positive posts about the Mitsubishi's.
Thanks for any info, or opinions. --Toby

Toby Flanigan

Auditioning
Sorry, I am not looking at the TW56X81, it is the 56H80 for $2700. Too much research causes brain failure!!!
Anyway, any information or opinions are appreciated.
Sorry for the confusion. --Toby

David_Lepak

Auditioning
I am also looking into the Mitsubishi 55807 since my Sony KP-41T25 has started to act up. Anyone else out there have this TV? How do you like it?
Dave

Nathan A

Second Unit
I've had this set for about 5 months now and I like it. It's got modes for great compromises with all aspect ratios.
Toby- The stretch mode is great, but it's not an option in progressive mode. It doesn't bother me at all, but I thought I'd let you know. All of the other viewing formats are available, though. Also, although I have absolutely nothing to compare it to, I don't think the line doubler on the set is all that great. I think as long as you've got a good DVD player it won't matter. And in my opinion you'll need a good DVD player (when I first got the TV I had a $180.00 interlaced player and it looked...not that great. Not terrible, but bad enough to make me get a new DVD player).
I haven't watched anything in 1080i so I can't say how well it does it. Sorry. It plays regular broadcasts (I have basic cable) perfectly fine if you ask me. Looks different than the picture my RCA 32" tube gives. Not any better or worse if you ask me, just a different style.
A plus is that it has a lot of inputs...3 component and 4 s-video. Can't say anything about the Tosh as I've never seen it, but I hope this helped at least a little.

Chris White

Second Unit
Toby, in my opinion, these two sets are very similar. I think the Mits has a nicer looking cabinet, but I think the Toshiba has better stretch modes. Both sets do a fabulous job with HD material. By the way, in the spirit of full disclosure, I own a Toshiba.
------------------
The Whites' Home Theater Website
Pictures, DIY Projects, Glossaries, FAQ, Links, Toshiba Tips & Tweaks

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
I just got the WS55807...and I totally love it. A friend of mine has the Toshiba, and it is also a great TV, but I liked the picture for both DVD's and regular broadcasts thru Directv just a little more on the Mits. I viewed HD broadcasts on both, and both look great! I have a Pioneer DV525, and the movies look incredible. I can not wait till I get a progressive scan DVD player...looking at the new Toshiba 5700 due out this summer for under $400!!. The stretch mode works great, and when the kids are watching Nickolodean, with their orange station logo, the expand mode crops it right off! I am very pleased with the Mits, even after comparing it to the Toshiba.
That being said, I dont think you will go wrong with either sets.
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks