Marvel's GUARDIANS of the GALAXY: August 1, 2014

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Sean Bryan, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    Thanks for sharing, it was a fun read.

re: Gunn on Lego Movie - I really liked "The Lego Movie" - but one question I have about it's snubbing I haven't seen addressed anywhere. The movie isn't entirely animated; a crucial moment in the plot is live action, and the entire movie is kind of built to lead up to that moment. Is there a chance that some arcane Academy rule would make the movie ineligible for "Best Animated Film" because a key sequence is entirely live action? That was my immediate thought when I first saw the nominations, I was a little surprised that everyone is shouting "snub" but that no one's asking that question. The Academy has had weird eligibility rules in other categories before, so nothing about their nominating or voting process would really surprise me at this point.

2. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

I wondered about that as well. According to Wiki, here are the rules:

"An animated feature is defined by the academy as a film with a running time of more than 40 minutes in which characters' performances are created using a frame-by-frame technique, a significant number of the major characters are animated, and animation figures in no less than 75 percent of the running time."

I'm pretty sure the live-action parts of "Lego" lasted less than 25 percent of the movie, so that wouldn't appear to be a disqualifier for it...

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  3. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    No wonder none of the Star Wars prequels won...

4. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Screenwriter

Wayne
    That doesn't mean that the academy is aware of their own rules.

5. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

EricJ
    Like, the fact that animators were also voting on the category brought up "Maybe it wasn't really that GOOD?"

(Which might also explain the, quote-fingers, "snubbing" of both of Phil Lord & Chris Miller's "Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs" movies...No, seriously, what's the attraction to those insufferable Ritalin commercials?)

6. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    That wasn't my question. My question was about the film's eligibility for Best Animated Film as a key portion of the film is live action. Colin was kind enough to do some research into it, and I appreciate him doing so. Please don't misquote me or quote me in an intentionally misleading fashion. Thank you.

Colin Jacobson likes this.
  7. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

Perhaps. The question was simply whether or not the rules would've left out "Lego" because of the live-action footage, and the answer is "no". The live-action stuff at the end wasn't insubstantial, but it's not more than 25% of the film's running time...

8. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

I am not sure if this was discussed already, but I will ask anyhow.

Last night while re-watching this movie, towards the very end of the film when Yondu was talking to his crew mate about Quill's father right after Yondu said, "he was an asshole" there is a faint voice saying, "What are you doing tomorrow?". What is bizarre about this is that the quote did not appear in the subtitles. It was not the voice of Yondu or the crew mate.

Has anyone else heard this?

9. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    I just checked out that scene and there was an "engine/space jet" type of sound effect that sounded a little electronic. Listening for the phrase you mentioned, it did kind of sound like those words. But honestly, I think it's just "one of those things".

10. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

Thanks, Bryan.

I was watching this on a smaller TV, not on my main system with surround sound. I thought I had heard that comment, and immediately replayed that scene to make sure that is what I had heard and it was there. That is when I turned on the subtitles, and that quote did not appear. Very weird.