What's new

Marlene Dietrich DVD Collection only in Netherlands?? (1 Viewer)

Krister_

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys,

Do you know if The Marlene Dietrich DVD Collection Only will be released in The Netherlands?? I hope so much that they will release her movies in UK, USA, and Sweden as well, here is a list with the movies that has been released in Netherlands,

Available in the Marlene Dietrich Collection:

Morocco (1930)

Dishonored (1931)

Blonde Venus (1932)

The Song of Songs (1933)

The Scarlet Empress (1934)

The Devil Is a Woman (1935)

Desire (1936)

Seven Sinners (1940)

The Flame of New Orleans (1941)

Pittsburgh (1942)

Golden Earrings (1947)

A Foreign Affair (1948)

Please tell me anyone who knows if they at least will be released in USA and UK

Oliver K

Auditioning
I've got most of the Dutch releases, they are of brilliant picture quality. Missing in this fine collection is Von Sternberg's 'Shanghai Express', though, and there's zero extras.
Does anyone have Russian disc of 'SE' and can recommend it?

Irina

Second Unit
Real Name
Irina

Oliver K

Auditioning
Thanks for the info, Irina. I'd heard about the Russian dvd and as far as I know it's the only release of 'SE' so far.
'Foreign affair' is one of the best in the collection, but I found the great Frank Borzage comedy 'Desire' to be a real gem as well. One of those underrated Dietrich titles, because of its inavailability I guess. The opening scene alone is worth the price of the disc.

Danny Burk

Second Unit
Can anyone tell me where to get a copy of DESIRE? It seems to be available only in the Netherlands. I tried to obtain a copy from Van Leest awhile ago, but they were out of stock and no longer seem to list it.

Thanks,
Danny

Irina

Second Unit
Real Name
Irina
Hi Danny,
I found it here: http://www.nl.bol.com/is-bin/INTERSH...lgl_Section=1. They ship to the US but the shipping cost is 17.35 EU (seems that only priority shipping is available for DVDs). There is no English interface and navigating could be a little challenging for someone who does not know Dutch.

I also found it here:
http://oas2000.proxis.be/gate/jabba....88&si=80015523

Even though there is no picture, I compared the DVD barcode and release date with the previous site and they match. This site has English interface and the shipping cost to the US is 2.25 EU for each DVD plus 3 EU for handling fees.

All French editions (except The Scarlet Empress) and the Russian Shanghai Express can be found at xploitedcinema.com.
http://www.xploitedcinema.com/search...rlene+dietrich
http://www.xploitedcinema.com/dvds/dvds.asp?title=5814
Let me know if you need help with Shanghai Express screen navigation which is in Russian. The number of options is limited but still could be somewhat confusing.

Irina

Oliver K

Auditioning
@ Danny & Irina:
Some of the dvd's that are released in The Netherlands can be obtained a lot cheaper through eBay stores, and quite a few Dutch sellers ship internationally. Bol.com is usually too expensive. Here's a link for 'Desire', from a seller that I have bought from myself. There's no picture of the disc cover, but this seller is trustworthy and quick. The dvd costs less than if you order it from Bol.com and postage is a LOT cheaper.

Edit:
Annoying little HTF-novice problem: I just found out that I can't post links until after my fifteenth post. The store name on eBay Netherlands is: Mediaboetiek. When you've found it, just type 'Desire' under 'Zoeken' in the upper left corner. English info is in the sidebar on the right. If you need any further help navigating, let me know.

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Miguel M Santos
Sendit.com has a 18 disc Marlene collection from Universal for UK release in May here. Play.com has it here

I'm guessing that would include all twelve titles, plus THE SPOILERS. So that leaves 5 titles not accounted for. I hope that one of those is ANGEL.

Danny Burk

Second Unit
Thanks for the information, everyone - much appreciated! The Ebay store's website says that they'll accept Paypal if the shipment is insured, but they don't indicate insurance cost. I've written to ask, and I'll post that information here if anyone else is interested.

I bought all of the French Dietrich titles from Amazon.fr a few months ago. If the new UK set has additional titles such as ANGEL, I hope that they are available individually!

There have been rumors of a Criterion release of SHANGHAI EXPRESS for a couple of years. I wonder if this is the reason that it's not available with the other European Universal releases? (Although, of course, SCARLET EMPRESS is now available from both sources, which would seem to rule out that theory...)

Oliver K

Auditioning
@ Irina & Danny
Yes, the eBay store does accept PayPal. I do not use the PP-option myself for orders within my home country, since it requires costly insurance (which over the years has proven to be quite unnecessary). I use the bank transfer with BIC/IBAN numbers, a relatively new bank service for residents of most EU-countries. In this way, you don't pay a transaction fee. For obvious reasons, a lot of European eBay sellers are already offering this payment option. As far as I'm concerned, PP are unbeatable, though, for orders placed overseas/outside of the EU.

Irina

Second Unit
Real Name
Irina
Thank you for the great information, everyone. I wonder if the upcoming UK set will also include 'Knight Without Armor' (Dietrich and Donat) and 'Martin Roumagnac' (the only Detrich/Gabin movie). Has anyone been able to get a list of the titles? If anyone is interested, there is also 'Rancho Notorious' currently available in the UK:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...706978-3959822

Irina

Second Unit
Real Name
Irina
I just received the 'Desire' DVD today. I am really impressed with proxis.be. The DVD itself is fantastic. Thank you everyone for pointing out this DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks