What's new

Man beaten unconscious after "shushing" other moviegoers (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
MIRA MESA – A moviegoer was beaten unconscious after he asked others inside a Mira Mesa Boulevard theater to be quiet, police said yesterday.

As the 19-year-old man left the movie about 10 p.m. Friday, he was jumped by two men who beat him in the parking lot with a 3-foot piece of wood, San Diego police Sgt. Richard Nemetz said.

The assailants fled in a black Toyota Celica. Detailed descriptions of the men were not available.

The victim was hospitalized with cuts to the head. – Joe Hughes

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...1m26crime.html

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
This is the second such crime to happen this month, I believe.

At this point, you'd be better off just very quietly sneaking out of the theater and either asking for your money back or telling an usher something, because doing the loud, quick "SHUSH" will apparently get your ass beat.

Sign O the Times.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Hey, I was trying to watch "The 20" and see all the new exciting products available for a limited time, and that guy wouldn't shut up. Something about "I can't find my diabetes medicine" or something.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
This dude didn't sense it coming? After confrontations like this, you don't skip the same route back to your car. This gus lives in Mira Mesa not Beverly Hills. Dude, needs to read Streets: 101, entitled Peripheral. No, that's not a real book.

I feel for the guy but he knew who he was shushing. I don't roll into downtown Long Beach, shushin' cats. Nope, they watch movies different that side o' town. They're part of the film......just the way it is.

So Robert is totally right on the first half. Waddle your butt back to box office and get your money back.

The usher though, just might get his ass kicked too. They're not bouncers. :)

Jason Guardiano

Stunt Coordinator
Wow Mira Mesa's right next to where I live :frowning:

From the article it sounds like it was the Edwards theater there which has the stadium seating.

I'm away in LA right now and I just "shushed" the kid kicking my chair at the theater the other day, ehe - guess I can't do that when I get back in San Diego.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member

That's the usher's problem. Better him getting a 2x4 to the skull than me ;)

To tell the truth--I'm moderately surprised this kind of thing hasn't been reported more often. Even if someone is being loud in the theater, loudly whispering "SHUSH!" at them like a vengeful librarian is rude in and of itself. And as the population grows, it seems people grow more anti-social. You'd think there'd be MORE instances of altercations based on this. I know *I* almost got into one a couple years ago because some fat ass-head started shushing me when I was whispering into my roomate's ear about what she missed. I "shushed" the sloth right back, and this greasy, tubby nimrod actually got up out of his seat and stood over my chair like he was going to do something. I might have been worried if he hadn't already winded himself by just getting up and waddling the 15 feet to my chair, but still--if some pasty uber-nerd is getting ballsy at the 2 dollar theater, then there's really no refuge. Even the nerds are getting pissy now.

Just quietly sneak out of your seat and get your money back, or be a tattle-tale. Because I didn't pay 20 bucks to sit through a feature presentation complete with idiot fan commentary, and I CERTAINLY didn't pay 20 bucks to get my ass beat.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
On telling management. I went to see a comedy show that had a few of the comedians from The Last Comic Standing. It was a packed house and their was a group of 3 couples next to us. And the woman were chatting loudly during the show. One of the managers was right next to them. After a bit. A friend of mine asked the manager to quiet them down. He did. But, instead of saying it was his perogative to shush them. He pointed to my friend and said he was asking them to be quiet. Nothing happened to him. But, he did get lots of looks and comments for the rest of the show. The manager was an ass for pointing him out. Instead of doing his job and not saying who asked.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

I had the very same thought, except that when I think about my own history....there was one time when I was young (17) that I actually got into a fight in the theater because another kid was kicking my chair violently and when I told him to knock it off he tried to throw his drink in my face...he missed and then "it was on" as they say. That's about the worst thing I had seen in or around a theater at that point but as the years progressed I remember that you would hear more and more about people being stabbed, robbed or beaten in downtown theaters, it might just be the same thing that has always been going on over the years but we simply hear about it more often now thanks to mass communication and the sensationalist/tabloid slant "news" organizations have taken in the past 20 years or so.....who can say.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
I was at a theater a few years back where some belligerent teenage thugs were talking, screaming, yelling etc. When the Ushers tried to quiet them down, the thugs threatened them. Theater management asked them to leave and they refused. Finally the police came and didn't give them a option. Everyone in the theater then gave a standing ovation as the thugs were led away in cuffs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks