What's new

Lost my center channel (1 Viewer)

Walter_M

Grip
I've had my 6-speaker/Dolby 5.1 home theater audio system for about four years. Unfortunately, the center channel has suddenly started working intermittently. I thought I had the problem solved at one point, only to turn on the system again with the same problem--no signal to center speaker.

I've thus far determined:
1) The center speaker works fine (when connected to any channel other than the center)
2) Swapping speaker wire makes no difference
3) All other speakers work fine

I think the problem is the amp, which makes me real sorry.

The amp is a 4-year-old Onkyo TX-SV454 Audio Video Control Receiver.

Anything I may have overlooked?

Thanks!

If the problem is intermittent I would probably say the amp channel is fried. If, however, you get no signal at all, I would make sure that you do not have the center channel disabled in the speaker setup of your receiver.

Walter_M

Grip
Thanks for the reply. I went through the amp manual to ensure it wasn't some setting I accidentally changed, but no joy. Also, it's not 100% silence coming through the center speaker, rather I sometimes get a faint hiss or buzz instead. Doesn't bode well. :frowning:

By the way, the interior of the cabinet my components are in always gets warm, despite the drilling of 1 inch holes in the top and an open back for ventilation. Does warm environment = fried components?

Thanks again.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, heat build up is probably the number one thing that will shorten the life of your electronics, but unless it gets VERY hot in their for extended periods, that probably isn't the direct cause (likely a factor).

I'd say it's just a bit of age and a component in the receiver that was marginal from the start, but worked until now.

Sounds like a replacement is in order, because repairing this receiver, unless you can do it yourself, will probably cost about the same as a newer, better one. Take a look at the new Onkyos.

Cambridge Soundworks has some b-stock units for $273 right now:

http://www.bestspeakerdeals.com/stor...501&type=store

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks