Left my cell phone charging...any danger?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael*K, Oct 24, 2001.

1. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Realized that I started charging my cell phone (Nokia 5160) last night and forgot it at home this morning. It's still hooked up to the charger. Any danger the battery or adapter will overheat? WIll I still have a house tonight or a pile of smoldering ruins?
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    --Mike
    Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

2. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

Nope. I regularly left my Nokia 6161 charging all weekend. After the battery gets full, it just quits charging. It might occassionally drain a little and charge some more.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Adrian Jones

3. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

You can leave it on the charger 24/7 for the rest of your life and probably not have a problem.
    ------------------
    -Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

4. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

No prob at all, they switch to "trickle charging" (self explanatory I believe) when the battery reaches full capacity.
    --
    Holadem

5. Jose C

Jose C Extra

I work for Nokia, and we routinely leave our phones on 24/7 connected to the wall charger or charging in a desk stand. Every Nokia-branded phone, battery and charger (car charger, desk stand, wall charger etc.) has sensors that work together to detect when the battery is fully charged and to subsquently "power down" or trickle charge only (to keep from melting your battery.) Not to plug Nokia or anything, but this power sensing technology only works when you use Nokia branded accessories together - if you buy a non-Nokia branded battery, the power sensing may not work as well or at all, and you could end up with a melted battery sooner.

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

off topic.. but I was thinking while I read this, does anyone else find it remarkable that nokia has gone from relative obcurity 5 years ago to what they are today? EVERYONE I know has a nokia phone. Very few have motorola anymore.

7. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

8. Jose C

Jose C Extra

Glad to hear you like our accessories Michael K! Using other branded covers isn't as big of a deal as using a different branded battery or charger, but there are some issues. Some "aftermarket covers," although cheaper, may use lower quality plastics or paint that may chip or rub off easier than factory color covers. Also we test our covers to make sure they don't interfere with performance or reception (some Nokia phone's don't have an external antenna) - with an aftermarket cover you can't be certain it will perform as well under all conditions. So buyer beware. OK, Nokia marketing hat off now [​IMG]

9. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

10. Jose C

Jose C Extra

Actually Ryan we've seen damaged phones and batteries come in for service because of the use of aftermarket accessories. Manufacturer's warranty their products when used with that manufacturer's components - anything else is the buyer's responsibility (it's not the manufacturer's fault, for instance, if you put a blinking antenna on your phone and then your reception drops by 1 to 2 bars).
    The power sensing technology is primarily in the phone, with sensors in the battery (thermistor) as well to detect overheating. And contrary to what you said, there are in fact power-regulating components in the charger as well, albeit not as robust as what's in the phone. Many, many aftermarket accessories will work fine, but many will not - you just never know about the quality of aftermarket stuff. For example, some aftermarket batteries lack a thermistor and use just a simple resistor, which isn't detecting temperature variations - this COULD lead to overheating during charging, and potentially a fried battery. Does it happen everyday? No. Does it happen sometimes? You bet.

11. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

12. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

13. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    I believe if you use aftermarket anything, even faceplate or antenna, it voids the manufacturers warranty.
    Sanyo4000 for me, and it works great, I love it! Motorola timeports are just pure garbage, and Nokia doesn't have any phones that run on the telus network anymore. If they had it, I'd pick up an 8300 series in a heartbeat!!
    But for now I'll survive with my Sanyo4000, which will be swapped for a Sanyo 5000 as soon as my buddy picks up his Samsung M100. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    McPaul.
    ICQ McPaul 121412168
    [email protected]
    "Would you like an extra large McPaul to go with that shake?"
    McPaul is Canadian.