"Knife In the Water" Crippled DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Pete Lee, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Pete Lee

Pete Lee Stunt Coordinator

Criterion has disabled the fast forward, rewind, frame-by-frame advance, AND the restart at stop features on this DVD. The ONLY way to advance through the movie without having to sit through the entire movie is to use the chapter stops. Apparently, this was done at the director Roman Polanski's request.

What business is it of Criterion to dictate to me how I should or should not watch a movie? Polanski is entitled to his opinion and preference on how to view this movie but to have it IMPOSED on me? I am absolutely shocked. In the a future where books are digital, will authors dictate that I shall not be allowed to jump to the end? I am absolutely amazed that a company apparently regards me as unfit to choose. If Criterion wants it known how Polanski prefers people to watch the movie, why doesn't it put a note before the movie urging people to watch it that way? But to force me to? The contempt for the moviewatcher underlying this DVD just floors me.

2. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

Okay.

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

You can pause atleast, right? Not being able to fast-forward and rewind is a pain, but I hope Polanski atleast would allow us to relieve our bladders without having to restart everything.

4. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Yes, the pause is there.

5. Zak Hepburn

Zak Hepburn Stunt Coordinator

Just my opinion but I think Polanski would be the best person to dictate the way to watch HIS movie.
    I understand where your coming from but the film is a piece of art and should be shown how it's maker intend.

6. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    I really respect the idea behind the "director's vision" argument but some folks really take it too far. This is ridiculous.

7. Jon Robertson

8. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

While this doesn't really bother me (or the lack of chapter stops on some Lynch DVDs), I think this is taking it a bit too far.

So why does the DVD have chapter stops? It's ok to skip to different chapters of the film, but fast-forwarding rewinding is considered something that goes against the director's vision?

Sometimes you just can't make out a line of dialog because of an outside noise, or the actor's accent makes it difficult, etc... should rewinding those 5 seconds be thought of as ruining the vision of the director?

Maybe the director's should try putting a little more faith in their fans. This isn't exactly a mainstream film, and having it in the Criterion Collection should give Polanski an indication that we're talking about more serious film fans anyways.

9. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Yeah, I can sort of understand David Lynch's thinking about no chapter stops, etc., but to disable this stuff and then put in chapter stops seems completely contradictory. There isn't any explanation from Polanski in the booklet or on the disc?

10. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

This is just one more step by the content owners to try to completely control the product that we buyers/viewers are "allowed" to watch. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

Or obsessive DVD hoarders who just have to own every "spine number". Of course, they probably never take the shrinkwrap off anyway.

12. PienSavaca

PienSavaca Stunt Coordinator

13. Pete Lee

14. Jon Robertson

15. BruceKimmel

BruceKimmel Stunt Coordinator

So, as someone who paid money to see a film in a theater, should you have the right to tell the projectionist to rewind if you missed a line, to fast forward if you want to get to the end faster. I can't recall a movie that I have ever fast reversed or fast forwarded through on DVD - it never would even occur to me to do such a thing. I have paused on rare occasions, otherwise I just watch the movie.

16. jonathan_little

jonathan_little Stunt Coordinator

17. Jon Robertson

Er...no, they haven't.

18. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Can you skip to a specific point on the disc by punching in the exact time in the on-screen DVD controls while you're watching it? That would force you to remember exactly what time slot you want to jump to, which would be a lot more annoying than being able to rewind or FF, but maybe that's a way to get around it.

19. Pete Lee

20. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer