What's new

K-PAX: beaten to death by a fluffy pillow. (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Faux seriousness is more transparent than a corporate accountant's reassurances. This is filmmaking with all the subtlety of an atomic cannon. It's One Flew Over the Cookoo's Nest delivered as a lullaby.

The grossly distorted depiction of how the Hubble Space Telescope works is but starting fodder in a movie fitting for these cotton candy-substantive times. From there, K-PAX is a duel between leading roles, with overacting being rewarded by beauty shots bathed in pastel lighting.

The Joy Luck Club meets I Remember Mama.

K-PAX is an embarrassing bore of movie. Sorry. Screened it. Couldn't stand it.

*smothers in feathers*

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Tough, I liked it. Wanna make something of it? Come on then, outside! One at a time or all at once, makes no difference. Put 'em up! Put 'em up!!

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Jack, I am so with you on this one.
Maybe because we're both so into science and 2001: A Space Odyssey that we get a little miffed when they distort science in movies. I don't mind things like Lost In Space or Star Wars where it's so fantastical that it doesn't matter, but when they show an actual real piece of equipment and scientific methodology, please do it right.

But even that isn't so bad. Message films really bother me. This movie is glurge.
This movie had charicatures, not characters. The workaholic dad and the patient-but-frustrated wife. I almost threw it my remote at the TV when Spacey actually said something like, "You should spend more time with your family." That was more blunt than a 20-yr old butcher knife.

The bluebird of happiness? WTF? (And yes, I do understand it. How can you not, with all the subtlety of a freight train running over your knee-caps?)

My roommate and his girlfriend rented it, so I didn't want to start making fun of it or storm out in disgust to hamper their enjoyment of it. It was really hard, though.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'd recommend Happy Accidents here, which appears to basically have the same story as K-Pax (never got past the latter's trailer) but is, in fact, a really good movie. Unfortunately, I don't think it's even been announced for DVD. :frowning:

Julie K

Screenwriter
I didn't see the movie, so perhaps I shouldn't comment.

However, I did read the book. I felt like ripping it into little shreds and using it to start charcoal in a chimney starter. I didn't do it because I was worried that the pages would impart a vile taint to the charcoal and any food cooked over it.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Jack, if you're down to crap like "K-Pax", please tell me you've seen "A.I." by now.
Haha Jack's screened A.I. after a pack of dangerous thread killer droogs threatened him, he still hasn't forgiven us. I heard he had watched 3 Kubrick movies back to back afterwards to recover from an overdose of the cutes.
Kidding aside A.I. was good, not great and.. um what am I doing? Sorry about veering off topic this is a K-PAX thread whatever that is, and oh Jack, thanks for saving me a rental.:D :emoji_thumbsup:

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Jack, if you're down to crap like "K-Pax", please tell me you've seen "A.I." by now.
And you're not going to like what he has to say about it. :D
I haven't seen K-Pax yet, but did plan on a rental. Now I'm not so sure.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
I thought it was a great movie. But then again I don't overanalyze whether a specific scientific part of a film is correct or not. That's just me.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
I thought the film was one of 2001's strong fall releases. Loved the acting, visuals and musical score. The closing shot was fabulous. Certainly not for everyone, although I would recommend the average joe who enjoys films with a slower pace to at least give it a rental. :emoji_thumbsup:

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I thought K-Pax was OK (mainly because I liked the actors) but I MUCH preferred the movie it was inspired by (yeah, I don't care how much they deny it!), Man Facing Southeast, a 1986 film from Argentina.
Stealing an IMDB description:
"An outspoken, gifted stranger suddenly "appears" at an insane asylum, claiming to be from another planet. Each day he stands in the open yard facing southeast to receive telepathic messages from his home. His presence has a profound effect upon the psychologist who is treating him for his delusions. But is the patient REALLY delusional? Or could his extraordinary story be quite possibly true?
That is the crux of "Man Facing Southeast", a remarkable parable from Argentina concerning sanity and madness, Heaven and Hell, faith and incredulity, presented with unmitigating perspicacity and intelligence. The film never "talks down" to its audience, and it delivers its message with stunning clarity. Warm, touching, and inspirational, it is firmly entrenched in my personal Top Five "Favorite Films of All Time" list. First-time viewers should be certain to rent or purchase the sub-titled version and NOT the English-dubbed version."
(If I could write half as well, I wouldn't have to steal!)
Yeah, what the man said, especially about the sub-titled version. Unfortunately, I don't think it's on DVD. Sigh.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed the hell out of it. That said, when I saw it the theaters last year, there was a guy snoring in the row behind me. Still, a solid :star::star::star: release.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
During the first half, I was really getting into this movie. But with the 2nd half being so dull, out of 4 stars this one gets a 2.

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
I loved and hated K_PAX. It touched me in two places that films usually don't. I liked the movie because deep down inside of me, there is still that little boy who believes in magic, and aliens, and monsters and all the good stuff that maturity beats out of you. In that sense, I watched and cheered. However, there is that other side to me too. The one who has to pay the bills, the one who has to cook dinner for the kids, the one who has to get to bed early. The realist in me, if you will. He watched this movie and scoffed. He saw nothing but fluff. So I agree with both sides, sad as that is. But, if I had to commit one way or the other, the kid in me says: :emoji_thumbsup:

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I'm with JAck.

I thought the movie was a total bore. I couldn't wait for it to be over. It seemed to me a rehash of all the same stuff. It attempted to challenge a viewer into wondering if this guy was a lunatic or an alien. I frankly just didn't care.

The same old alien comes down to tell us how ridiculous our little humanity is... Change your ways or else. zzzzzZZZZZZZZZz

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks