What's new

JVC 7800 VCR TBC Issue (1 Viewer)

Calvin S

Agent
After reading all the recommendations on this VCR, I took the plunge and got it from Crutchfield. Anyway, after attempting to use the TBC/NR feature, I've noticed on many movies that when turned on, it will actually create a several inch high strip of picture distortion at the top of the screen. All of these are movies I own (no rentals) and most haven't been viewed that many times. I'm certain it's the TBC, because the distortion goes away when turned off.

To give you an idea of the variety of tapes tested, I've successfully used TBC on Batman, but it caused distorion on Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Lion King, and my wife's aerobics workout video. I don't think it's the TV, since I replaced my TV on Saturday (not because of this), and it's happened on the new TV. From reading the description of this feature, it seems like it's intended more for worn tapes, but I wouldn't expect it to cause trouble with new ones. From others experience with this VCR, does this sound normal, or do I have a bad VCR? In case anyone thinks this makes a difference, it's hooked up with S-Video cabling to the TV, with a Denon 3802 performing switching.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Thats weird. Your vcr may be deffective. The only weird thing I noticed when using the 7800's noise reduction was the fact that some scenes gave weird effects. Like when Bruce Willis shakes his head in Pulp Fiction, his head kind of wavers and wobbles around. Its wierd and I verified it several times by using tbc and not using the tbc nr.

Calvin S

Agent
Well, sounds like my VCR is currently 0 for 2. Unless I hear someone in the next day or so that thinks this in normal behavior, it's going back to Crutchfield.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks