What's new

Is this normal operating volume for the HK AVR430? (1 Viewer)

Norris

Stunt Coordinator
My family viewing room is 15'x 15', with the back side open to the kitchen. I notice that I have to turn the volume up to -10 dB to get an adequate (not impressive) sound while watching Chronicles of Riddick last night. I haven't used the receiver too often since acquiring it, aside from configuring it for my 7.1 speaker setup. I feel that I don't have enough power for my room size. Given those info, what do you guys think?

Thanks,

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
With my AVR110 from 2001, -10 would blow me out of the room, but I'd be clipping, too, probably.

Make sure you don't have the night mode engaged. Also make sure all source components' attenuators / compressors are off, if so equipped.

Did you calibrate?

What speakers do you have? How sensitive?

Norris

Stunt Coordinator
That's interesting, at -10 dB, it's far from blowing me out of my room, and there's no clipping. I checked, and Night Mode was not on. If by "calibration", you mean configuring the speakers with the HK remote, then yes, I did when I first bought the receiver. That brings up another question: since that time, I had to disconnect the receiver and moved it to a new location. Does turning the power off and unplugging the receiver cause all the settings to go back to factory defaults, whatever that may be? I don't know if defaults are "large" for front speakers and "small" for center speaker, ......

My speakers are at least 5 years old:
Fronts are Energy Connoisseur C-4, 88 dB sensitivity
Center is Energy e:XL-C
Rears are Energy e:XL-R
Sub is powered Energy ES-12

I think some more tweaking of the settings with the receiver and adjusting all those knobs on the back of the sub might be needed, but not sure what to do next.

Thanks,

WaltV

Grip
I have an avr 330 and -15 is about as much as I can take. Its loud! My room is 14X20 with a 9' ceiling. Yes, you do have to re-calibrate when you unplug - you also have to calibrate each sound mode separately - dts, DD, etc. And as sloppily as I set my calibration, and the power has probably gone off since then, -10 would be pushing me back in my seat.

Sorry I don't have any suggestions nor do I know about your speakers, other than 8ohm is easier to drive to loud volumes than 4 ohm, what is your speaker ohms? My speakers are unremarkable except for my fronts, (the stereo ones), which are Axioms.

Might be the movie, or the dvd, how do others sound?

Walt

Norris

Stunt Coordinator
"Yes, you do have to re-calibrate when you unplug - you also have to calibrate each sound mode separately - dts, DD, etc. "

I think this may be the answer. I watched Assault on Precinct 13 last night, and at -9 dB, things sounded very very good. My speaker resistance is 8 ohm.

Thanks,

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I have a AVR635 in a small room with big Klipschies.

-25 is pretty loud
-15 is 'reference' level
-0 on 'The Matrix' is ***POWERFUL*** and I cannot do it

VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Realize they are not going to fake you out by having 90% of the volume 1/3 of the way up the scale (like cheap systems), there is a whole lot of power left between -15, -10, and -0.

I will say my HK will not clip even up around -0, but I cannot listen at those levels.

R:o:b

Agent
do you know what the reference level is for the avr 320?
how do i know if my speakers are beign clipped?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks