What's new

Is there any device to measure the output watts from a reciever? (1 Viewer)

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Okay, I have an easy question for you guys; What's anechoic? I've seen that word used before and I'm not sure what it means exactly, or atleast in this context. I can take a good guess though... Breaking that word down, echos means sound in Greek (pronounced more like e-hos) and the "an" prefix seems negative so my guess is that anechoic is something without sound. Am I close?

Of course it could also be linked to the "Englified" word "echo", so it could just mean without echo.

I'm sure it's one of the two or perhaps both.

- Mike

John Royster

Screenwriter
non-echoy. no-echos. basically a totally dead room with all kinds of serious sound absorbsion panels with 100s of angles. Pretty neat actually.

In this context it is for sound. There are other rooms used for electromagnetic stuff like radio waves, wireless and FCC compliance.

Norman L

Second Unit
Back to the original question:
Instrument for measuring Watts

The proper expensive equipment must be used since
the operator must control the following:
1. It is measured in volts. - volts squared divided by ohms gives watts.
2. The input source that has to be a steady impulse so the instrument does not fluctuate . 250 to 500 MV
3. Distortion must be measured by the same instrument so the volts measured are not with 7% distortion but with .05 to .2 distortion that is reasonable.
4. The receiver's volume has to be set to above reference to get peek volts but without distortion.

I watched the lab perform these tests on the above mentioned receivers.

Norman L

Second Unit
Another thought,
The above thread is the proper way.

This might work.
A basic multi-meter for measuring AC Volts on a scale of 50 could work with exceptions.
The input source is not a consistent level so if you use a music CD the meter will fluctuate with the sound, you cannot measure the distortion level at a high volume. Set the volume to a high level above 85db reference.

Measure the average swing of the needle in 2 channel then the average swing of the needle in 5 or 6 channel stereo.

The result in volts: Volts^ / Ohm =watts
( volts squared divided by ohms = watts)

Good luck. Let me know the results.

NOT RELIABLE but should be an indicator to some degree.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks