What's new

Incredibles 2 (2018) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I've sen everything Pixar has ever put out. I say that as a reference, only because I think the Bao short is the worst thing they've ever made -- and yes, that includes Cars 2. Naturally, it was beautifully animated, but I just thought it was a what-the-**** rabbit hole awful and stupid and uncomfortable and couldn't wait for it to end. I wish that this had gone in theaters last year with Cars 3 and that the short from last year, Lou, was screening now. I have no desire to see Bao again, but it will be on the Incredibles 2 Blu-ray. Conversely, I have no desire to own Cars 3, but I'd love to own Lou (but won't buy Cars 3 just to get it.) So I wish they had swapped the placement of these two shorts.

I also thought it was a bit odd for the introduction from the cast to say "And without further ado, The Incredibles 2," only to have the short first. If they were going to do the introduction, it should have come after the short, not before. The intro was nice, but I thought it was funny that they felt the need to apologize for the movie's tardiness. I'm not saying I liked the wait, but I do think this was worth it.

In my opinion, the original Incredibles is the single greatest superhero film of all time, and remains so. Given the fact that superhero cinema is omnipresent today in a way that it simply wasn't in 2004, it would have been impossible for them to come back and be as surprising and subversive as the original was with its social commentary aspects and deconstruction of superheroism. Marvel and DC have both already touched on the legality of superheroes and have explored a lot of these tropes so much over the last decade-plus that Incredibles 2 simply can't be as form-breaking as the first one was. That was a given going in.

That being said, I think Brad Bird was wise not to try to do that. The film works because it gives us what we want most, which is more time with these characters who have become so loved in the last 14 years. I was really impressed with the continued character development for everyone both individually and as a family unit. It really does seem like they've learned and grown from the events of the first film andd that this is the next step of their journey, and that obviously doesn't happen with every sequel. And what a sequel it is -- it's just a tremendous amount of fun to see these characters again and to get to spend more time in their company. Great characters, great action, great humor and a whole bunch of heart.

I was also really impressed that, even though the movie clearly takes advantage of the advancements in animation technology since 2004, how seamlessly they make you believe this is the same world and the same time period. When I first heard that they were going to start with the Underminer as though no time had passed at all, I thought, "Hmm, that might be really weird," just because SO much time has passed for us since the first one. But as soon as it started, I was right there with it as though I was 15 again. And the new Dash, Huck Milner, feels completely seamless with Spencer Fox, who played Dash in the original but obviously couldn't return given the timeline of the sequel. Jonathan Banks as Dicker, their ally in the government, is a bit more of a change from Bud Lucky, who played the role last time but is unfortunately deceased now (if you stay through the credits, you'll see that this movie is kindly dedicated to him.) But Banks still does a good job taking over for him.

It's weird to think about this because we, having waited for it, are acutely aware of how much time has passed in the real world between movie, but I think that decades from now, when new generations of kids come to these movies and they just exist as a given pair, there won't be any reason at all for those kids to suspect that there was a 14-year gap between the two releases. And that is really saying something.

I think the movie itself was more interested in the family dynamics than the new supervillain, but that's fine with me. What I wanted most was to see the original characters again on a fun new adventure, and it delivers.

I said earlier in the thread that I appreciated it seeming like there was more to the movie than was shown in the trailers. Now, I think I was mistaken in praising the trailers, because they really did give a lot away. It's just that the villain plot isn't as focal in the storytelling as Syndrome was in the original, so there was less of that for them to feature in the trailers. As usual, it isn't the movie's fault that the trailers give away too much, but it was still something i felt. Jack-Jack is great and the audience loved him, but still, most his best moments were in the trailer. So was "Math is math" and much of Bob's storyline for the film. These things were still great in the movie, but maybe ever so slightly less impactful from having seen them so much beforehand in the trailer. I mean, I get that the trailer has to hype people up to see the movie, but I'm still not sure they needed to show as much as they did, especially since there was a high level of hype for this movie anyway.

Still, all in all an A+ movie for sure, and instantly extremely superior to almost everything else so far this year (except maybe Paddington 2, and they are in the same league. Rarefied cinematic air all the way, both of them.)

Was anyone at all surprised by the Screenslaver reveal? I had that pegged from the start, but expected Winston/Bob Odenkirk was in on it too as part of their whole plan, rather than it being Catherine Keener/Evelyn by herself. Especially since the Screenslaver himself is a nonentity for much of the film, I always thought it had to secretly be a major character that was already established, and nobody from the first film would have done that, so it being the employers was kind of obvious, but that's okay because it works. I suspect kids might be more surprised by it though. They really did a nice job with her motivations, though, once it was revealed.

Also, do you think the Incredibles are going to say in Winston's house still, or now that superheroes are legal again, will they be able to afford to move?

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
And to think I haven't even seen Paddington 1 yet.

You absolutely should; the first one is on Netflix, or hovers around the $10 range in stores now if you want to do a blind buy.

Getting back to Incredibles 2, I forgot to note in my previous post that when I arrived at the theater, the 3:30pm show was sold out, and they were redirecting people to the 3:55 show, which also ended up being sold out. (I actually was aiming for the 3:55 because it was on their biggest non-premium priced screen so that was fine with me.) Theater 11, their biggest auditorium, is also where I saw Avengers on opening night, plus Ready Player One, Deadpool 2 and Solo; I look for showtimes in there when I can because I know it's the biggest screen. Aside from Infinity War, which was the opening Thursday, this is the only one this year that I've seen in that room that was sold out or anywhere close to it, and the audience went nuts. The others had just a smattering of people each and had no audible reactions.

I think this one is well-positioned to rake in buckets of money for Disney for the rest of the summer and deserves to, since it's so great. I do hope to see it again before it leaves theaters, although I'm not sure when, simply because the next several weeks all have big new releases coming. But it was a really great movie and I am really delighted with it. Considering that it is following up one of my favorite movies of all time,e that's a huge accomplishment.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
Went and saw this one with the kids this afternoon.

Really enjoyed revisiting the ol' family, that's for sure.

Neither kid (6+8) saw the reveal of the villain coming at all -- both were really shocked.

And yes, the entire theatre was laughing hysterically with the "Looney Tunes"-esque Jack Jack sequence.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Saw it Friday.

It’s a terrific movie and is a worthy sequel.

I don’t understand why they put that disclaimer thing in front of the movie.
While I was watching it my thoughts were that isn’t that going to take out the idea that this is real to the kids? Or maybe the kids didn’t really understand what it was that they where even talking about.

I loved the short, maybe l liked it more then the movie.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I kinda liked the "Bao" short. Better than "Lava" for sure.

Incredibles 2 was great. Cemented this as my favorite Pixar franchise & I hope we get a third one.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I hope we get a third one.

I totally get that, and I'm sure that if Brad Bird wants to do another one, Pixar will be happy to greenlight it. But I don't want one for the sake of having one. I only want one if he really feels like he has another great idea for the next chapter of the story. If he does, I'm totally on board for more.

If not, there's something to be said for quitting while you are ahead with two incredible films, especially when that expectation is built into the name.

I also think it's important to remember that Incredibles 2 wasn't supposed to come out until next year, but Disney asked them to shave a whole year off their production timetable so Toy Story 4 could be pushed back for a rewrite and Pixar could still have a 2018 release. That's nuts. It's amazing that they were able to pull it off so spectacularly on such a time crunch, but now Brad Bird deserves to chill out for a bit and enjoy this success. Let's not rush him onto his next hing.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Regarding that article...

I will go to bat for Finding Dory as being just as creatively wonderful as the original Finding Nemo. In some ways it was a more personal film to me than Nemo just in terms of how and why I connected to it (although of course I love Nemo, also.) Finding Dory wasn't a story that solved any kind of dangling cliffhanger from the first film, but it more than earns its place next to it as the next great chapter of that story for those characters, as does Incredibles 2. And of course the Toy Story sequels (so far) have been absolutely terrific extensions of that story.

I think the only Pixar sequels that could be quantified as purely "cash-ins" are Cars 2 and 3, plus Monsters University. And Monsters University is thoroughly decent, although still a cash-in for sure.

I am hopeful that Pixar understands the value and importance of Toy Story above an beyond its other brand as the godfather franchise of the company, and I hope they understand that making a bad Toy Story 4 would be far more damaging to their reputation than bad Cars sequels or a forgettable Monsters prequel. Therefore, I hope that Toy Story 4 is going to be great and that they wouldn't make it if it wasn't. We'll see in a little over a year if my optimism has been misplaced.

Last edited:

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Saw the first one at the theaters with my son when he was 7; and now we saw this one and he's 21 sitting next to me and this story picks up like it was the next moment. What a time warp. But some things never change; we loved the film, it was terrific. (Except drop the ho-hum short, the film was long enough).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Although with it and previews the movie started 30 minutes after it’s listed start time. That’s too much.

I agree with your point in theory, but that speaks more to the amount of trailers than anything else. Pixar has been including a short film in theaters in front of every release for literally 20 years. I think the vast majority of people know there will be one, and expect to have one.

This is not another case of Olaf's Frozen Adventure in front of Coco where it ran 21 minutes because it was developed for television. I think it's entirely reasonable for Bao to be there, even though I didn't like it. What would you have them do? Eliminate the short and you're messing with a longstanding expected format.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I agree with your point in theory, but that speaks more to the amount of trailers than anything else. Pixar has been including a short film in theaters in front of every release for literally 20 years. I think the vast majority of people know there will be one, and expect to have one.

This is not another case of Olaf's Frozen Adventure in front of Coco where it ran 21 minutes because it was developed for television. I think it's entirely reasonable for Bao to be there, even though I didn't like it. What would you have them do? Eliminate the short and you're messing with a longstanding expected format.
Since money is a factor, I doubt it would happen but I'd like to see them run 4 or 5 trailers (instead of 8) when there's a short before the Pixar movie.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
4 or 5 trailers (instead of 8) when there's a short

Good idea...but Disney doesn't control the trailers on every showing. That's mostly the theater's discretion, I think. Disney can require that some of their trailers screen ahead of their movie, but certainly my screening included Disney trailers (Wreck-It Ralph, Christopher Robin) and non-Disney trailers. So the individual theaters put that together. It seems unlikely to me that a theater owner would willingly shave off trailer time, especially on a massive hit that everybody wants to see, because that's how they get movies in front of people to convince them to come back. As you noted, it's about money.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks