What's new

Ideas on HT layout and possible audio/video equip? (1 Viewer)

jonathanR

Stunt Coordinator
Hello:
I finally convinced my dad to dump his prologic yamaha 2 channel stereo system and venture into HT. At first he had a budget of about $5000, which would include a widescreen rptv,a 5.1 speaker setup, an onkyo or denon reciever and probably a progressive scan dvd player. After visiting a local ht shop WILSHIRE AUDIO/VIDEO in CA, he broke his $5000 limit by being blown away with the new pioneer 520-hd elite rptvs. Let's say he now has a $8500 budget. He also dosen't want a tube sub (SVS) look in his room or speaker stands for the rears. He also wants to keep the front relatively "big speaker" free, so towers up front are also out. I've also attached a diagram of the room layout....what do you think about the equip. options below.....thanks for your input. =)
a.Pioneer Elite 520-hd 53" rptv $5300
b.(2) rt 55i polk speakers up front $500 in custom cab.
c.(2) 300fx or 500fx dipole speakers $400 or $500
d.(1) 400i polk center channel $400
e.(1) rear center speaker (not sure?) $200
f.(1) paradigm sub 2200 or polk 650? $799 or $650
g. Onkyo 797 or denon 3802 reciever $899
h. jvc or sony progressive dvd player ??? $300
Or perhaps a satelite speaker polk system, maybe the RM7600 w/ sub.....I just have the feeling he'll be missing out if he goes the satelite route.
Any ideas on other equip I might consider....ex. b&w energy etc? I'll be mainly testing/listening the speakers & equip for him and doing the install.
John
p.s. Thanks again.
Link Removed
Link Removed

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
I think I'd flip the room 180 degrees to allow a more symmetric placement of the main speakers. Their assymetry and proximity to uneven room openings will alter their frequency response unevenly. Stereo imaging will suffer. By flipping the room 180 degrees, you place the more important mains into more ideal locations rather than the less vital surrounds. Seating would still be equivalent.
------------------
Guy Kuo
Link Removed
Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
I agree 100% on the "room flip". You'll never get good sound out of speakers if they are not positioned right. Are you sure you can't talk him into an SVS? He'd get a lot more bass for his buck, and maybe you could hide it or place it on its side.
-Max

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks