What's new

I need suggestions for a military care package. (1 Viewer)

Leo Hinze

Stunt Coordinator
My brother is currently serving somewhere in Iraq.

I am going to send a care package, and I would like suggestions from those who have served and/or sent care packages on what to send.

I'm planning on sending a few decks of cards, some sunflower seeds, power bars, dried jerky, peanuts etc. Stuff that can last in the heat for a while.

I also want to send powdered drink mixes, specifically Gatorade or other sport type drinks. Are individual packets preferred, or can I send a small container of powder?

Any other suggestions of what to send?

My brother doesn't smoke, but should I send cigarettes, for use as 'currency'?

Thanks.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I'm not sure about this, but doesn't the military already provide those things? I know for sure they provide a deck of cards. :D I would send him something that would remind him of home like some CDs and things of that nature.

David Rubenstein

Stunt Coordinator
A close friend of mine is also in Iraq and he has asked for us to send him baby wipes. Apparently they go for days without showering and the baby wipes help.

He also asked for cans of tuna.

Hope that helps.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
My brother's over there and requested a care package of the following: powdered Gatorade, books, DVDs (I know, who'da thunk?) beef jerky and hard pretzels. I gathered some books and DVDs for him. Mom's taking care of the food stuff.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Baby Wipes are always a hot commodity - like mentioned above. I used the heck out of them last summer when I was deployed to Kuwait.

Try to find out what kind of candy he likes and send that. Sure, some stuff is available over there - but it is probably being purchased as fast as they get it in - meaning he might be missing out on something he likes or something that is popular.

Recent DVD releases will probably make him pretty popular. Alot of guys have portable DVD players or laptops. Some squadrons even have them at work for the slow times (Can you tell I'm in the Air Force :) )

Just fill it up with whatever you can - none of it will go to waste. He can always give it away or trade it for something else that somebody else didn't want/need.

Good luck - and thanks for supporting the troops over there!

I'm off again in about 2 weeks - but this time my deployment is somewhere other than the desert.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
Probably not the most popular answer but..... back when I was overseas many of us weren't fans of the no alcohol policy in the mid-east. So, folks back home would empty out bottles of scope and fill it with vodka with a dab of blue or green food coloring.

Just an idea.... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks