What's new

How dot I get a decent image from LD on a Toshiba 50HX81 (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
General thoughts for those with widescreen sets and laserdisc:
1) Remember, when judging your set with letterboxed LDs, you aren't just judging the doubler, you are judging the results of the scaler and the doubler working together; sometimes this result is much worse than the results of either one working alone.
2) Try a non-anamorphic letterboxed DVD like 'The Abyss', hooked up via s-video and composite. If the results are unacceptable to you, no amount of LD-player upgrading will give acceptable LD results.
3) Try a non-anamorphic letterboxed DVD like 'The Abyss', hooked up via component from a progressive DVD player. If the results are unacceptable to you, no iScan will give acceptable LD results, whether you also upgrade the LD player or not.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Great post.

I have recently been comparing 3 LD players, and found that all 3 looked better via the svideo connection when connected to my Tosh 65H80. The players are the Elite 97, 99, and Sony Muse C2. I also found I had to mess quite a bit with the LD player settings to get the best pic. I am happy with the the resulting picture, (though I wouldnt mind testing a line doubler) with all three, though I would rate them in my listed order relating to video quality (good to best).

I guess I need to try a line doubler. ARgh, the upgrading :)

Regards

Gregg

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Then I changed over to the s-video connection and things began to improve. I turned on the DNR on the 50HX81, turned off the noise reduction on the LD player and then dropped the color level on the TV
So what's the picture like when you do these things without the iScan?

Gregg F

Grip
John,

Without using the iscan, the s-video direct to the monitor looked pretty bad. Lots of blockiness (for lack of a better way to put it) and poor resolution. The composite input to the monitor was a bit better but not nearly as good as when using the iscan.

With regards to the iscan, I have noticed that material that has quick camera moves or fast action horizontally doesn't look quite as clean as static shots or slow camera pans.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Greg, why don't you put the CLD-99 on A-B repeat of a section that has some anomalies and try adjusting the 3-D filter, maybe even down to 2-D? You might be able to smooth things out. I don't think the comb ilter adjustments are much count for analog sets. You might as well just leave them in the centre, but for digital sets and projectors it can make a real visable difference. Play around with it, you might even find going to maximum 3-D works for your set. Best wishes!

Gregg F

Grip
Another great idea, Rachel. :emoji_thumbsup: I currently have all NR off on the LD.
I'll try a setting with everything turned off but the 3D filter and mess around. I may have been adjusting too many variables at once in previous attempts.
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks