How do you know if your house has mold?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert_Z, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

I am a renter...been living in the same place about two years now. I pay some attention to current events and realize that homeowners insurance as it relates to mold coverage has been a big issue. How can you tell if your house is "infected"?

My landlord told me when I moved in that the water heater had gushed out a significant amount of water during the previous renter's stay. Add to that the fact that our ceiling leaked significantly during some rain storms a few months ago. The worst thing is my bathroom starts going black out of the faucets and drain and along the tile walls within a few days after cleaning. This does not seem normal to me. Is this mold infestation? How can I find out?

Speaking of which, what is mold, and what are some side effects of long-term exposure to mold? Is it really dangerous to humans, or only to the houses?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

It's late, Robert, which means I'm unable to post at length. The descriptions you provide are consistent with mold.

Yes, it's dangerous to inhale or injest mold.

This is one of the major issues in commercial real estate.

Just today, I was editing a story about a new cottage industry that's growing fast: the commercial use of dogs to sniff buildings for mold.

I am not making it up. The story will appear next week.

3. Evelio Figueroa

Evelio Figueroa Second Unit

4. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Not all mold is hazardous but it's not worth the risk, the bad stuff can be fatal. A year and a half ago when I was looking for a house to buy I backed out on a deal that was signed, sealed, and all but delivered because the inspector found standing water, mold, and mildew in the crawlspace. I can only assume you wouldn't risk eating a moldy steak. It probably won't do you serious bodily harm but there's too much food in the world to mess with that. Likewise there's too much mold free housing for you to risk living like that. If it were me I'd try to use the mold to label the place as uninhabitable and break the lease.

5. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    The latest episode of "King of Queens" had a whole mold issue. Quite funny

6. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Just as the others have said, mold is extremely dangerous. So bad, in fact, that my mother's office building had to be demolished because of it. They found it much more expensive to try to fix the building than just to tear it down and build a new one.

There's also a big hoopla about homeowner's insurance and mold. It's so expensive to fix and so common that many insurance companies don't want to cover the repairs.

7. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

8. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

Robert,

I would suggest you ask your landlord to have the area tested or inspected for mold for your safety. We had a home inspection last night that was very thorough. There were some fungi stains in the basement which brought out some lessons in mold. Basically mold needs food, moisture, and time. In your case Robert, you've got all three. The mold will feed off of latex paint, wood, wall paper, or the paper on drywall, etc. There are thousands of colors and types of mold and not all are harmful. Black mold is the hot topic right now and certain forms are extremely lethal as the above posts tell you.

9. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

I called my landlord. He has always been very nice...hope he still will be as this may cost him, I don't know. He said he would ask his insurance agent how to proceed. Wish me luck.

10. AviTevet

AviTevet Stunt Coordinator

Talk about timely information... I just ironed out repair negotiations on a house that I want to buy and we are just about to set a closing date. One of the repairs is dryrot & mold in a bedroom. I'm glad I'm not paying for that repair... but I wonder: the mold is only visible in a small corner of the drywall, and the outside is dryrotted on about 1/4 up the wall because there was a small hole in the gutter downspout that leaked. Is there a chance that just tearing out the dryrotted plywood & studs, wet insulation, and visible molded drywall won't get rid of the mold? I can still back out at no loss to me if there will be a serious recurring health issue.

11. BrianB

BrianB Producer

12. Evelio Figueroa

Evelio Figueroa Second Unit

13. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

Maybe this will help. From an article on Wired.com:

14. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    Look for green fuzzy shit!

15. MikeAlletto