What's new

hk sound vs pio 1014 sound? Warm? Sharp? Cold? (1 Viewer)

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Has anyone actually heard both the hk and the pio1014 with the same set of speakers? I'm a HK fan so no need to convince me that HK is better. I'm shopping around for a friend. Features and power are not important. I just want to know if anyone has actually heard them both from the same speakers and what you might think of the sound you heard. Was there a difference in musical sound?

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
I've owned lots of HK receivers and one Pioneer Elite. To me, I like HK, but I find the sound to be dark and devoid of any top end. Pioneer was more balanced to my ears.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Kevin. That's actually what I've read a few others say when asked why they like a receiver over the HK. Interesting. I love the sound of my HK and my friend loves the sound, too, but I think his system has more of what might be called "top end," yet I would call a bit "thin." I think it's so interesting how others define and prefer the sound. That's what makes talking about this so difficult, especially since everyones room set up is so diferent. In the end, I think that he likes my receivers sound better only because my Boston Acoustics blow his Bose out of the water. It's always been my thinking that the speakers are what really make the greatest difference anyway. That's why I asked the question, just to see if others really hear a real difference between receivers. Thanks, again!
José

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Me:
Chu, I only meant that in terms of this particular situation. Features, such as in people, and power, such as in politics, are real important. Features in the receiver are, of course, important in HT for most people, but power...well, that all depends, for the most part, I would still say that power is not that important, especially when talking 65 w/ch vs 100w/ch. as most people do in this forum. Now if we go up to 200w/ch and have speakers that need that kind of juice, then power is important. But as I said, for the most part and in terms of what I was asking, power is and was not that important. I need a power bar! :)
José

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks