What's new

Help me avoid settling for a HTiB (1 Viewer)

Matt Amato

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a senior Computer Science major in college and I've recently decided on purchasing the Panny 47 inch and enter the world of home theater. With my budget and time, I was looking at a HTiB that would suit my needs and originally settled on the Onkyo HT-S650. However, one of the things I don't want to do is buy now for instant gratification and then get the upgrade itch sooner than I would like. I want a system that I can be happy with that can last me a few years. I'm currently thinking about buying the TV now and then waiting a few months so that I could spend about $1000 on a non-HTiB system that I can research and purchase in components myself. Will I be able to get a very noticebly better system by taking this route, or am I better off settling with the S650? I have the patience to wait but I want a good pay off from it.

Thanks,
Matt

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Matt, definitely wait! If you do not, you'll regret it! I've heard the Onkyo HTiB and it's all right, but my 4 JBL S26s, S-center, and 12" DVC sub blows it out of the water. No contest! Just wait, and you'll be so much happier!

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Save for the $1000, you can do much better than the Onkyo HTIB.
My recommendation would be as follows:
4 x K05B50 = $320
1 x K05C25 = $175
From http://www.speakerpage.com/
If you think you wouldn't mind assembling the crossovers as well as buiding and finishing the enclosures yourself (I'd still buy the baffels though) you could drop that down to $313 plus the rest of the MDF and finishing materials (won't be much).
Then for a sub either the Parts Express DLS10", Sony WM40, Audio Source SW15 or a used sub from Hsu, Velodyne etc.
Then spend the rest on the best Denon/Onkyo/Yamaha/HK receiver you can get (used off audiogon.com could be worth your while as well).
If you don't want to build or assemble anything yourself I'd try and get the budget up another couple hundred so you could get an Adire Rava for the sub.
But if you can do some of the building yourself then save the money by building the SCH speakers as kits. Then get a Dayton DVC12" driver and PE 300-792 or 794 plate amp and build your own sub as well. The money saved will also allow you take a step up in the receiver and still stay within your $1000 budget.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Buy a decent quality receiver(choose your name brand here but I would go with Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, Sony ES or HK) and add to that the cost of your speakers(Klipsch has a cheaper line that would work) and boom you have a system that will stomp on a HTIB setup. The subwoofer in the HTIB setups are lousy and I'd much prefer to not have one than to own one of those subwoofers. A cheaper Sony or saving up some more $$ to buy a better subwoofer would be my suggestion.

Matt Amato

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys. I don't think I have the time or skills to go the DYI route, but I definitely have decided to wait and shop around. I definitelly want a good sub, especially after I heard about LoTR's LFE track. Anyone have recommended percentages on how to split up a budget for a system. If I've got a $1000 for a reciever, center channel, 2 surrounds, front left/right and the subwoofer, how should the $1000 be split up for each part? Any ideas would be great.

Thanks again,
Matt

Matt Amato

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a student at Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA. I've been doing most of my research on HTF and other sites. I buy stuff online all of the time, so if I can find good prices from online retailers, that's what I'll probably go with. Since I'm new to the HT audio world, I want to head out to the Tweeter near me one day soon enough to audition some equipment and get a feel for the differences in different setups. I keep hearing good things about JBL around hear, and maybe I'll splurge on a SVS sub. The one thing I'm a complete newbie on is recievers and how they differ. Once I'm finally ready to buy I'll probably post another thread with my possible choices and look for suggestions for a good setup. For now I'm definitely not going with the HTiB and will hold off at least a month or two.

Matt

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Well if you have $1000 for your system,

Go for

JBL NSP1 $250 (J&R including shipping)
JBL PB12 $300 (J&R including shipping)
Denon 1802 or if you wait a month a 1803 $400-$500

Or buy them from etronics.com
JBL NPS1 with a PB12 $449 + 70 shipping
There you could go for a ONKYO SR600 for $450 or maybe wait for the DENON 1803.

If had $1500, I will recomend you

Four JBL S26 ($340)
S Center ($140)
SVS 25-31 PCi ($500)
Denon 1803 ($400)

I hope this helps,
Pablo Abularch

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
I would go with the same speakers that Pablo suggested. For the sub I would go with the Sony SA-WM40, this is a good sub for the money and it will save you over $100.00 over the JBL. For the receiver I would go with the Panasonic SA-HE100 or the Pioneer VSX-D811S, this are 6.1 receivers so if you ever get the need to 6.1 you will be all set. These receivers will also save you some money if you shop for them on-line.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Dustin,

Last I checked the monitors come with the crossovers pre-assembled. And at $160/pair completely assembled speakers they'd be an absolute steal. I couldn't build them for that, but then I'd put a nice veneer finish on them as well and wouldn't use the sock grill. But if they're as good as Hank says, you couldn't go wrong.

Brian

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
My thoughts exactly. Given all the speakers Hank has heard. If he is impressed with these I'd put some serious stock in them. Didn't he compare them to Paradigm MiniMonitors and like them better. $500 for four complete speakers that will better Paradigm MiniMonitors and a completed proper 3way center. Tough to beat :)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Dustin,
I don't know if he's done any direct comparisons that I remember. And these kits are not the same ones that he's built in the past. They used a different woofer that's now discontinued as well as a different tweeter. But his is building a pair for a neighbor of his. Kind of a trade; five lawn mowings for a pair of speakers! :)
I've been planning on buying the towers, 2 pairs of the monitors and the center channel but just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm hoping a friend will help fund some of my projects plus I've just have too many other things going on right now.
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks