What's new

Help create a list of artwork changes or packaging changes of older DVDs. (1 Viewer)

DouglasRobert

Second Unit
It would be nice to create a list of DVD's that have had their outside artwork changed from when it was originally released or has had packaging changes, as in special cases to standard keep cases.

One packaging change would of course be the upcoming Battlestar Galactica Series change from the 3-D Cylon packaging to the slimed down Digi-pack.

I have noticed that at Wal-Mart several of the older Columbia Tristar releases have had their artwork changed. Can't remember exactly which ones though.

The only criteria would be that the contents of the disc should be exactly the same as the older releases.

Also out of curiosity, would this make the older design or packaging worth more than the newer artwork or packaging changed ones?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
There's been quite a few, but here's a few to get you started.

Kalifornia - This was a very early title and came in a strange case. It was re-released with similar artwork in a keepcase and then re-released with completely different artwork in a keepcase.

Young Frankenstein - The original poster work was used on the original DVD and then for some reason FOX decided to destroy a perfect cover by adding blown up photos of Gene Wilder & Peter Boyle.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
Vertigo comes to mind, as well as most of Dreamwork's animated films such as Antz, Prince of Egypt, Chicken Run, etc.

I think the Limited Edition of Bridge on the River Kwai has switched to standard keepcases.

Others I believe include the Exorcist: 25th SE, Akira: LE (Tin), Basic Instinct:SE, Frighteners, and others.

http://www.dvdsoon.com/product-image...80&quality=0.8

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The original DVD for "The Lord of the Rings" used the poster artwork while the version released sometime around when the Extended Fellowship of the Ring was released had it changed to a very Alan Lee-esque painting.

Matt`L

Stunt Coordinator

You sure you're not thinking of the extended editions themselves? Once removed from the slipcover, there's Alan Lee artwork galore.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Flatliners had original poster art. beautiful. since then changed to mug shot (man I hate those...) with same UPC Code so DVD Profiler has updated my collection with this ugly cover.

William Waits

Stunt Coordinator
- A Bug's Life: CE
- Just about every animated or claymation release by Dreamworks prior to Sinbad (Chicken Run, Joseph: King Of Dreams, Antz, etc...)
- American Pie: Ultimate Edition
- The Abyss: 2 Disc SE
- ID4: SE
- What's Happening: Season 1
- Dinotopia
- Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
- Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
- The Mask
- Jaws: The Revenge (non-Universal Release)
- Critical Care
- L.A. Story
- King Ralph (Non-SE)
- Die Hard: SE
- Terminator 2: Ultimate Ed

That's all that I can think of off the top of my head...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
this is a good idea for a list but it needs pics to be able to see the differences.

dante's peak
daylight
frighteners.

Rolando

Screenwriter
I second the idea of posting both covers to see the difference and try to post cases where the UPC is different or the same.

Britton

Screenwriter
Here's both cover arts for the old non anamorphic release of 2001. These are both OOP.

And this is the art for the remastered disc.

William Waits

Stunt Coordinator
I think that most here are missing the point... If I get what the person asking the original question is saying, it is NOT what cases are differenct because of newly remastered version, new stuidos, expired licenses, etc... It is the SAME version that maybe had a re-promo, a price drop, a movie tie-in, etc... where simply the cover was changed for the same "release".

DouglasRobert

Second Unit
If I get what the person asking the original question is saying, it is NOT what cases are differenct because of newly remastered version, new stuidos, expired licenses, etc... It is the SAME version that maybe had a re-promo, a price drop, a movie tie-in, etc... where simply the cover was changed for the same "release".

Exactly. The same version with either different artwork or different cases?

Sorry, if some didn't understand my original post.

I have Way of the Gun from Artisan. The cover is yellow and has smaller pics of the main actors in them. I remember seeing it some time ago, and the cover was changed. Don't know if it had the same features though.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Cabaret is one that had different cover art when it was re-released. The notable thing about it that the re-release was labelled on the back as being enhanced for widescreen TVs, whereas the original release was non-anamorphic, but the re-release is ALSO non-anamorphic. It was simply a mistake that they labelled the newer one as being anamorphic, because it's the same non-anamorphic transfer as the original one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks