What's new

Help! Audigy and Soyo Dragon won't work! (1 Viewer)

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Im trying to install my Audigy Platinum sound card and I constantly get error messages and lockups. When XP loads, it gives me two errors that my sound card is not properly installed. I know that it is, but I can't install the drivers. Every time I try to load the drivers from the CD, it locks up at 97% complete (driver update section).

Creative's website has updates and patches but they can only be applied AFTER the original drivers have been loaded. What can I do? I have the sound card located in the 4th PCI slot... originally I had it in the 2nd slot. Neither position mattered though.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
The mobo is a Dragon Plus. Thanks for the link... it describes some of the problems I've been having. I wish I never would have bought the Audigy... having read other links at www.amdmb.com it's obvious that Creative Labs has weak customer support and the XP OS is hardly supported or figured out yet.
For what it's worth, I finally got the Audigy drivers installed as well as the other software that came with the card. Unfortunately, I d/l the updates for XP and they refuse the install. I keep getting the "error" dialogue box where XP wants to send Microsoft the error report. Not sure if it's my mobo or the card or the lack of card support... hopefully I can get tech support to help.

Alan Curry

Agent
Actually I wish I never bought my board with the VIA chipset. From what I have read it's not just a problem with the VIA board but also with the Soundblaster. There is also suppose to be a timing problem with the SB Live's. I hear the Turtle Beach doesn't have a problem but I haven't tried it. Good luck.

Alan

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Yep, after doing some research it's become painfully clear that the VIA chipset has many problems. In order to get my Audigy to work, I need to have it installed in the 4th PCI slot. That's not a problem, but for people with multiple PCI slots it could be. Appearantly you CANNOT use PCI slots 1-3 with this chipset because it causes conflicts that render the computer useless. Fortunately, I only use my Audigy and a USB 2.0 card... for now.

The Dragon + is great and was a breeze to install. I just wish that I had known these problems before I bought a VIA chipset. I have yet to try and game with this new cpu but that will be it's main purpose... that and web surfing, some picture editing.

Oh well, live and learn.

For those with the Soyo, I highly recommend Alan's link. It is invaluable for trouble shooting. Thanks!

Buzz, if you need any advice or help, let me know. I think I've run into every PCI problem possible (LAN, sound card) now Im just waiting to see what the GeForce 4's bring.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Rob,

You should have bought the Hercules Game Theater XP. And yep the GTXP has great XP drivers available on their website.

Randy_T

Stunt Coordinator
The VIA chipsets have always had problems with Creative Labs soundcards. The Dragon+ has onboard audio. Be sure that it is disabled in the BIOS. You could also check the soyo newsgroup. There may be a work around posted there.

Randy T

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
Creative Labs are by FAR the best gaming Sound Cards. This is a Soyo issue, you should call them on the phone. I have an SB Audigy and it works GREAT and the sound is incredible. I have a VIA Chipset on a Gigabyte motherboard.

Randy_T

Stunt Coordinator
What is your system configuration? I can look on the newsgroup and see if anyone has the same issue.

Randy T

Randy_T

Stunt Coordinator
Buzz,

Try to move your cards to the last 2 PCI slots. I have read that this sometims helps. I'll also keep looking on the newsgroup for answers.

Randy T

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Buzz, just to re-iterate what another member mentioned, make sure that you have ANY card utilizing the last two PCI slots. Unfortunately, your mobo will not work properly if you have any PCI cards in the first 3 slots. Wish I would have known this before I bought my Dragon +.
Anyways, move it to slot 4 (the preferred slot for sound cards) and pray you don't need to use 3 PCI cards with this mobo. Im not making this stuff up, the forum at www.amdmb.com and www.viaarena.com specific to Soyo Dragon+ mobo's will tell you the same.
For the record, the Soyo Dragon+ also has some minor issues with using 3 sticks of DDR Ram. In other words,if you have all 3 slots filled with Ram, you might run into problems as well. Bummer, I really heard good things about this board but it's very limited! Next time I go with the Epox mobo.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Well, good luck. Mine works just fine now. Actually, I couldn't ask for a more stable computer at this point. I have yet to receive my new video card yet and try any hardcore gaming - but Im expecting this cpu to perform!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks