What's new

harman kardon 525 vs. Onkyo TX-SR800 (1 Viewer)

Samuel Sonn

Auditioning
I am looking to upgrade my stereo system for my home. I purchased a nice Aiwa system when I went to college (6 years ago) and I think it is time to upgrade to a separate component system. I know the receiver is the most important part of a home theater system and I need to make the right choice. I was looking at price(s) online and found that the Harman Kardon 525 and the Onkyo TX-SR800 where around the same price. I know that Harman is a good manufacture but I'm not sure about the Onkyo. If anyone could enlighten me on which would be the better deal between these two models I would be very grateful. Plus, if you have any other suggestions I welcome them. I want to spend less then $1000 on a receiver.

Thanks,

Sam

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Both HK 525 and Onkyo SR800 are great recievers for the money, IMO I think the HK still has the edge for music and power, but the Onkyo will work very good on HT.

I think you should also consider other alternatives, like Denon 3803, Marantz SR7300 and even HK 7200 which you can find it the net more or less for $1000.

I know the receiver is the most important part of a home theater system and I need to make the right choice.
IMO the best thing of any setup are the speakers, speacially the sub and center speaker for movies, and mains for music. I think you should always invest more in speakers, they will last you longer, and with reciever changing the tecnology so often, I think speakers is always better.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Well depending on the size of the room you might not even need to go as far as a Harman/Kardon AVR-525 unless you are finding a really good deal on it. I think the AVR-325 should be more than enough to suit needs unless you are powering a VERY large room.

The Onkyo isn't bad, but I think in terms of features/performance/looks you won't get any better than the Harman/Kardon. Also something I like about HK is that they offer something called Logic 7 (takes a 2 channel source and makes it into 5 or 7 channels) somewhat like Dolby ProLogic II... I think it is better than PLII.

As for speakers, just a recommendation would be Klipsch, they are very nice... but like most say, you either like Klipsch or you hate it... They have a very distinct sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks