What's new

Good Restaurants in Amsterdam? (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I know that there are a few Dutch HTF members so I was hoping for some food advice for my trip to Europe (I leave on Thursday).

I would love some advice on good restaurants in Amsterdam, particularly featuring local specialties like eel & herring. I am not interested in Chinese, Indian, etc. etc. food -- I can get it in New York.

Good neighborhood places would be especially great to know about as well as "nicer" places.

Also any good DVD stores? (You don't need to to work too hard on answering this one as I'll be mostly in Paris, where Fnac & Virgin's DVD selection dwarfs anything else).

Thanks for any and all culinary advice!

Ted

SteveA

Supporting Actor
Visit the Pink Floyd Cafe and try a slice of "Spacecake" as an appetizer. Wait about one hour - then choose any restaurant. Whatever you decide to eat, it'll taste friggin' fantastic! ;)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Um, "Spacecake," which is made with pure hash oil, is about as potent as such can get.

Cees Alons is our man in Amsterdam, and he can give you the full lowdown. All I can say: You're very lucky to be going to Amsterdam, the most-free city in the most-free country in the world.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
Been there in '92, but sorry, don't really remember anything about restaurants except the massive amount of Big Macs I ate at Mickey D's after hanging out in the coffee shops for a few hours. I've never had the munchies like I did that nite.:D

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
You're very lucky to be going to Amsterdam, the most-free city in the most-free country in the world.
Shhhh, you're ruining the illusions of millions of Americans if you keep that up. :D
I helped a guy move this weekend, he went back to Amsterdam yesterday, and I just know he was complaining about the lack of chicken in food there. Is that true? He said that not even Subway had chicken sandwiches there when he first came there, but apparently they do now, because he seemed very excited about it. :)
/Mike

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
Went there this March. Had a blast.

Definately try the spacecake. But I'd take it home with you. After you eat it, you wont be moving for a few (7-8) hours.

All of the pizza places are wonderful.

Umm...i'd say just walk around...there are TONS AND TONS of little resturaunts around every corner. Amsterdam is a city you just walk around and find cool places. The people are nice. Youll have a great time.

Richard_T

Second Unit
Had a great time back in 91. The Bulldog is a great meeting place and the food is pretty good too. A great place to meet and chat with fellow travelers. Downstairs, there a "smoking only" area that is very, very interesting. The Had Rock is also and great place to party the night away. I'd love to go there again some day. I stayed in at the Titus hotel. Right across the street there was a bar called the Thai Stick. I think you all know why...

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
Ah, yes, that was the coffee shop I hung out in, The Bulldog. Downstairs around the corner was a list of smokable spices a mile long. Yumm. I had trouble deciding what to buy.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Come on guys, this is a disgrace :) All the "Coffee shop" info I didn't ask for and not a single restaurant. Man can not live by spacecake (or in my case beer) alone.
Then again, no wonder you guys don't remember any restaurants :D
I'm leaving tomorrow, so I'll probably need to find a Parisian Internet café to read my answer (which I trust will come eventually) before I take the train up North next week.
Ted

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Ted

A friend of mine lives there. I will contact her as soon as i stop typing here.

Any strong likes or dislikes?

I will post her answer ASAP

Grant

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
From my friend who lives there:

Hmmm... Good food. That is either a real lucky thing to find or impossible

to find. For the center, we stick to the Hard Rock cafe. There are a couple of other smaller places I know by sight...not name.

Out of the center is our absolute fav place called Greenfields. Its about 1/2 hour out, but worth it. Slightly pricey but nice.

hope this helps

Grant

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks