What's new

Good News for Hong Kong DVD fans (for a change) (1 Viewer)

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
This is good news for anybody who is tired of getting the plumber's snake from Disney.
Mei Ah will be revisiting several of its earlier releases with new anamorphic transfers. This is great news because that will mean that Disney won't have the only anamorphic versions of many Hong Kong films.
Mei Ah won't tell me which movies will be coming yet but I will post when they do.
This may be the best chance to see a good anamorphic version of movies like HARD BOILED, GOD OF GAMBLERS, ASHES OF TIME, and so many more.

Matt

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
I have been told by a very reliable source to wait for the upcoming DRUNKEN MASTER from Hong Kong Legends instead of getting the new one from Columbia.
The current HKL DVD is cropped and doesn't have the original Cantonese soundtrack. Columbia has a damaged Cantonese soundtrack that sometimes substitutes English.
I think the HKL version will be a 2 DVD set.

Matt

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
GOD OF GAMBLERS should be their #1 Priority. It's possible the worst looking DVD I own of one of the best CYF movies!
My thoughts on Drunken Master. I don't see that, SITES or Way of the Dragon being released for a while. They have so many other movies I want out now (like all of them... they can take Red Wolf back though :) )
Might as well get the R1s of these just for the Cantonese track. Sell them off in a year or so and upgrade to the HKLs.
Just my two pennies.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Even the laser disc of GOD OF GAMBLERS was bad. I would love this one to be remastered.

If I didn't have the first HKL DRUNKEN MASTER I would probably settle with the Columbia version for the time being.

I hope they have the rights to POLICE STORY 3! This would be the only chance of a decent SUPERCOP DVD.

Matt

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
No Police Story 3 :frowning:
I wish though. But it's not on their list of acquistions or pending ones :frowning:
I haven't seen the HK DVD of it; but the Disney is crap (cut/dub) and the VCD is really poor...

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Matt-
Awesome! Thanks!
As the Joker said in Batman, where can I get these wonderful products?
:)
- Guy

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
You can check online stores.

YesAsia.com
DDDHouse.com
DVDAsian.com
Hivizone.com

And other online sites.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
It will depend on the titles. If Disney also owns the rights to the movie, Rutger listed the best places.
If these aren't owned by Disney, there is HKFLIX.com and POKERINDUSTRIES.com .
I wish Mei Ah could give me names of the titles and dates! They did tell me that the titles were the older but famous ones. Here is a link to their web site. http://www.meiah.com/eng/main.htm
They have a lot of movies listed but some they only have VCD rights for.
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnedunn
Recent bookmarks