What's new

Get a Life DVD 2 is out! (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Hey, just an FYI about the world's most dangerous paperboy (or America's favorite psycho). I was disappointed to note that Amazon pushed the release date back to January 8, 2002, but I was less disappointed when I found it is in stores as of today. I saw a whole bunch of new Rhino product including this second volume of Chris Elliott's Get a Life (and a compilation of that horrid series "Pink Lady"!). Haven't watched it yet...saving it for Xmas. But it is out.

JasonK

Supporting Actor
This is great news. I got a letter from DVDEmpire a while ago saying the release date was pushed back to Jan 8th. I'll have to check and see when they will ship it. Thanks for the heads-up.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I picked this up at my local Best Buy 2 days after Thanksgiving. Before you go out and by it, you should be aware that the 1st episode on the disc has horrible pixelation on it. The other episodes are fine. In a thread over at DVDTalk, I found out some other people also found the disc at stores and bought it, and their discs suffer from the same pixelation problem. That led us to believe the delay may be to fix the problem. If I were you, I would wait a while before buying it to see if the discs that hit the stores after the new date of 1/8 suffer from the same problem.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ght=get+a+life
The posts about the pixelation are near the bottom of the thread.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
As it happens I just watched all the eps EXCEPT Zoon Animals, as I wanted to save that. So I don't know.

The interview with Mirkin is excellent. It was shot recently, as he talks about the first DVD. He speaks quickly and covers a lot of detail about his and Chris' creation of the show. He paints a frightening picture of what would have happened to Chris in later seasons, if there had been later seasons. And he mentions some other projects he's been involved in that I want to check out now that I know he produced them.

I didn't like the episode selection as much as the first volume, but this does have Zoo Animals, so it is a must-have anyway.

I have one bad comment about the laugh-trackless audio on this second volume (which is selectable):

I only checked out the episode MARRIED without a laugh track, and was surprised that not only does it have no laugh track, but there's no foley and no theme music (and no music during the episode either). I'm not sure, but I thought the laugh track-less versions on the first volume was different - the omission of the theme music must be a mastering mistake, anyway. No biggie.

Gruson

Second Unit
Man, I have to go out and get these tomorrow!

That was the funniest show of all time.

I have every episode on VHS but the quality is horrible!

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Just watched it. It is the best episode on the disc, and it is also messed up. You know how if you try to save a JPG of a person's face as a GIF you often end up with what look like bands of differing levels of brightness across the contours of their faces? Same sort of thing here, with people's foreheads especially having that kind of banding, and some backgrounds.

I suspect the theory is right - this was a mastering mistake and is being fixed, with the discs in stores now being ones that slipped through.

I was prepared to say "the problem was the source material" or "they must have had a second generation video tape from which to master this episode from" - but on the contrary it looked like the fault of whoever did the compression of the DVD.

Wait for an announcement from Rhino.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
There were 34 episodes total, and nope, Paperboy 2000 isn't one of the episodes on this collection.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
The selections on the second disc aren't very good - besides Zoo Animals and Neptune 2000, there's Married (which is no where near as funny as the first discs' "stalking" episode) and The Big City which is more of a technical acheivement than a laugh riot.

Also, since it has been several years since the show was on, it is kind of strange trying to figure out who the recurring characters are or what their relationships with Chris are. That's why I hope they release more, so one can eventually watch them all in some kind of order.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I got a message from Rhino regarding the first pressing of Get a Life 2, and although they didn't exactly say straight out that the first batch was messed up, they said that replacement discs are now expected to arrive in late February. So I must assume that indeed, that will be a corrected pressing.
Fans will have to decide if they can go another two months without this title, if they happen to find any from the first batch that slipped through.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Heheheh. Thats hilarious. I loved that goofy sitcom. I'll have to check it out for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks