What's new

genesis - concert albums and 5.1 remix of foxtrot (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Good news for Genesis fans - check out the latest news on the official webstie.

As you'll see, the 5.1 remix of Nursery Cryme is complete, and work on Foxtrot (which of course contains Supper's Ready) is about to start. Apparently Nursery Cryme was relatively straightforward to do because of the relatively low number of tracks used. I wonder if this is why this was the first one chosen after Lamb? I.e. to ease into a long-term project.

There is also some very enticing news that a cataloguing of what appears to be a truly vast collection of soundboard tapes of concerts is underway. As anyone who has ever heard the numerous bootlegs available out there, Seconds Out and Three Sides Live are a pale imitation of what are arguably Genesis's best live performances. We can only wait and see whether this cataloguing turns into a tangible product. If the project comes to fruition, I do hope it isn't going to be like the Queen download service, which is an excellent idea in principle, but really doesn't cut the mustard. Why not a subscription service, where for a nominal fee (to cover costs and any profit to go to charity), you get a disc per month?

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Doug, I hear what you're saying, but I wonder if the delay might also mean that there will then be a relatively small gap between the release of Lamb 5.1 and Nursery Cryme 5.1. In theory, if the remastering continues, each album in the back catalogue could then be released at e.g. two-monthly intervals.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Man, and I always thought Seconds Out was one of the better live albums ever put out by anyone. :) Great to have possibly even better stuff to look forward to.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
I, too, believe Seconds Out is one of the best live albums from that era. Didn't know it was crappy. The only criticism I've ever had with the album is the (possibly deliberate?) muting of Hackett's lead guitar.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

It's not a bad album at all and in many respects is the ideal introduction to Genesis. BUT: some of the unreleased concerts are even better. Seconds Out is what might be called a 'safe' album - it's where everything sounds pretty much note-perfect, the interpretations aren't too off the wall, etc. But other concerts, although containing the occasional wrong note (even - shock, horror - from Tony Banks) are more exciting and far less like the official albums.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Ithink it's been over 2 years we been promised all kinds of Genesis stuff on hi-rez. Can't say this news makes me "jumping out of my skin" right now.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I need to dig up the song, but it's one of the extended tracks on Wind & Wuthering. I have a BBC (or maybe King Biscuit) recording from the early to mid 80's or so where they do it live. (I found this 100 pg document on the web somewhere, all about their discography, that said that that track was rarely performed live.) Anyway, it's really amazing and sublime.

I also really liked the "newer* version of 3 Sides Live with the live side 4.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
the "newer" version was always the one sold in the UK. The studio takes on the N.American release are now available in the Archives Vol. 2--worth getting for some live stuff from the 76-80 days especially. Sound is not stellar (essentially official bootlegs) but the performances are pretty good (Hackett's guitar on Entangled is quite good, IMO).

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
the "newer" version was always the one sold in the UK. The studio takes on the N.American release are now available in the Archives Vol. 2 (except Me and Virgil, Phil put the kibosh on that)--worth getting for some live stuff from the 76-80 days especially. Sound is not stellar (essentially official bootlegs) but the performances are pretty good (Hackett's guitar on Entangled is quite good, IMO).

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Yes and no - the original vinyl release was like this in the UK (the sides of the double album were live, the fourth studio tracks - hence 'Three Sides Live' in case anyone's wondering what we're talking about). However, depending on the luck of the draw, the CD release in the UK stores was either the original UK release or the US release (i.e. all live tracks).

I personally wish that when it came to releasing the CD versions of the albums, Genesis had taken advantage of the longer running time of CDs and given both the US and UK versions of the album on the CD, perhaps taking the Seconds Out era live recordings on the US version and inserting them onto the CD version of Seconds Out.

Bren_Chris

Stunt Coordinator
Considering the ongoing delays with the LAMB redux, and the delays with the Platinum Collection thingy in the US, Genesis is now in the "believe it when I see it" category for me. They could announce the whole catalog being remastered, and I won't even say "wow."

Steve Hackett had already suffered minimization of his guitar in Genesis mixes (laughably so on Trick of the Tail), and when he pinkslipped himself during the Seconds Out mixing, well, the guitar became a ghost. I don't think anyone else in the band ever fully valued his instrumental contribution.

Then again, Selling England By The Pound presented the quintet in perfect balance - musically and sonically.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I am curious if anyone is aware of any existing Gabriel/ Hackett era concert video footage that might see the light of day on DVD someday. I'd love to get something like that. . .

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

There's quite a bit I've seen on boots, but it's (not surprisingly) poor quality. Not sure if any official copies will look any better. IMHO, a lot of it, technical quality questions aside, looks rather silly.

Incdientally, for anyone really into Genesis, the following is a goldmine of information:

http://www.genesis-movement.co.uk/

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Don't some of the DVDs out now about the band have footage of that era? Myabe just a song or two here and there though.

I *still* hope for a remastered/*expanded* version of Genesis Live.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes

If it's because you want a live version of Supper's Ready (the only song missing from the CD, I believe), consider picking up Genesis Archives, Vol. 1. Great stuff, altough some of the early (pre-Trespass) stuff is pretty weak.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks