What's new

Fritz Lang’s DIE NIEBELUNGEN (1924) - coming soon on DVD! (1 Viewer)

Frederic_A

Stunt Coordinator
They substitute their own title cards for the originals? How ludicrous. In the very least because title cards have their own look and feel, conveying the style of the period. What's wrong with subtitles in such a case? The experience can be no different than if the film were spoken.

I, too have been waiting a long time for Nibelungen to come out. Due to the format, though, I hope there will be an R2 PAL release.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The All Day Entertainment (not Image) disc of the 1960 Testament of Dr. Mabuse contains as an extra the US cut of the 1933 film; it's in crappy shape, but it's only an extra so I cut them some slack, and it's there if you want to see it. Still, it'd be nice to have the original German cut in a good transfer.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
In what is the US cut of Mabuse ('33) different than the original cut, Mark?
IMDB doesn't list alternate versions.
Or did you mean it's dubbed in English?
Sorry to wander off-topic. :)

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

This is 100 minutes longer than the Image(?) laserdisc previously released? Woah!

Really, 100 minutes?!

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

Actually, "ludicrous" is exactly the word I would use to describe complaining about the co.s that put out these wonderfully transfered, restored, color-tint/film-speed-corrected DVDs of silent films because they don't subtitle the orig. dialogue cards. For the co.s (like Kino) doing good work and putting out a superior product, I say, "bravo!"

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Just reveived my copy, and it looks very good (I've only sampled both discs).
The image quality is great for a 1924 movie, with surprsingly little dirt and scratches.
The behind-the-scenes material (

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks