What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Ford Escape Hybrid (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
http://www.fordvehicles.com/escapehybrid/frameset.asp

What do you folks think about the Ford Escape Hybrid? Anybody have any interesting news, their website is a fine example of skirting the question. Take a look at their FAQ!

No Ford bashing, but I'm really interested in getting a 4WD vehicle for loading bikes and stuff around on dirt roads and snowy winter trailheads. I really like my friend's hybrid. My two hiking buddies, one has an Insight, and the other just bought a Civic Hybrid. I know Toyota is coming out with a hybrid Highlander, but it'll probably be too pricey for me and isn't the Highlander kind of big?

Yes it would be Ford's first hybrid of any vehicle but when is Honda or Toyota gonna put a hybrid in their light SUVs or better yet, put a hybrid engine in a station wagon with AWD?

Jay

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Not sure what interests you about hybrids (environmental/economy), but Jeep is coming out with a turbodiesel version of the Liberty for 2004. According to some of the advance reviews, it packs a nice torquey wallop and is very good on fuel.

Where are you thinking of mounting the bikes? A hitch-mounted rack would probably be best, as roof mounted SUV racks are really difficult to load unload. If you're thinking of having them inside, interior room may be more of a factor.

I would be very wary of reliability with any new vehicle though, especially domestic hybrids. Might be worth waiting a year for the kinks to be ironed out.

Honda has kicked around the idea of having a hybrid in the CRV/Element sometime ~2005 (both the CRV and Element are the same platform as the Civic).

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
I'm a Ford owner, 2002 Taurus, 2001 Windstar, 1994 Sable. They just don't have a good reputation when it comes to introducing new models. The original Windstars had problems (I had a 95 that Ford bought back), the Focus was terrible, and the original introduction of the Escape had numerous problems. I am very happy with my newer Windstar and Taurus and I understand the Focus is now a pretty good car. Bottom line is I wouldn't buy the first production or 2 of an Escape Hybrid. I'd go with Honda or Toyota who have been successfully building Hybrids for several years now.

Ford tends to rush new models out. I had read that they had technical problems on the hybrid Escape that caused them to delay introduction. Their poor history on conventional cars, combined with a new technology for them, seems to be very ripe combination for lots of initial problems.

I am very interested in the hybrid technology and will be looking at it as I replace my cars, but that won't be for another 5 or 6 years or so (hopefully).

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
The Escape Hybrid was supposed to released last year, in 2003 but postponed due to "technical difficulties". Read into that whatever you want!

The lexus and probably the highlander is going to be too much than I want to spend. In '97 before I started to bike everywhere, I bought a 328i but now considering the amount of driving that I do, I wouldn't spend the money now even though it's a great car. So I'm sure the lexus and highlander is going to be more than I'd like to spend. Even the Escape would probably be in the mid to upper 20s(?)

As far as bikes go, I'd like to just throw it in the back if it would fit. Anything else I could use a roof rack, because it would have to hold a small kayak. Skis can be fit inside or on the hitch rack. A friend of mine suggested the Element but I think it's kind of ugly. I've been eyeing the Suburus wagons but would love to have a hybrid.

I match well with a hybrid since I primarily bike to work, this would only be a weekend car to go hiking or skiing, or any other adventure I can think of. Even when I drive to work its local driving, which is where the hybrids shine and get great gas mileage. I hardly use the A/C, even in the summer. Dunno, I'd rather just open the windows, I don't mind the heat or the cold. And I like new technology.

I still nag my two friends with hybrids that I still get better gas mileage than them on my bike :)

Jay

LewB

Screenwriter
Check this out.

It's keen vision like GM's (Hybrids at $1.50/gallon don't make sense). That almost put the American auto makers out of business. We're making money, so why spend anything on the future when the status quo is fine ? :angry: :angry:

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Hmmmm....it seems GM doesn't think outside of the North American market. Once production cost comes down from increased sales, hybrids will be big sellers worldwide. It's still too early in the developemnt of hybrids to predict what will or will not happen, but I read in a Fortune magazine article that Toyota predicts 50% of their production will hybrids in 10 years.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
While looking for articles on the Escape hybrid, I read something about Toyota wanting to have the hybrid as an option in all their cars. The article mentioned it's more of a dream than likely ever become reality but IMO, that is a sign of a vision and a plan and whos to say Toyota can't pull it off.

Whatever you put a hybrid engine into, be that a car, a truck, or a minivan, the companies doing it now will have a real advantage for whatever is made in the future. Toyota's new Prius is a nice step forward in ANY hybrid, can GM/Ford say that? They're practically on their 2nd Gen hybrid technology before the US car companies get a foot in the door.

I will weigh the options between a hybrid SUV versus say a Suburu Outback sometime in the future.

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks