What's new

For best video quality - distribution amp, y-cable, or in series? (1 Viewer)

fredgmeyer

Auditioning
Real Name
John
I'm a marine biologist with an underwater video system that transmits an analog signal with a composite video cable and RCA connectors. On the boat, the signal needs to go to both a monitor (newer Sharp LCD television that has inputs for composite, component, and S-video), and to a recording device (Sony GV D1000) that records onto mini-DV. This device has inputs for composite and S-video, and outputs for S-video.

Currently, we use a y-cable to split the video signal, but I've learned this degrades the video by causing a voltage drop. Someone suggested using a video distribution amplifier which will enable us to split the video signal without the voltage loss. I'm looking into this, however, our budget is limited, and we'd only be able to purchase an inexpensive one, along the lines of what Radio Shack might carry.

The other option is to run the video in series - first into the GV D1000 to be recorded, and then outputting it from there into the monitor using an S-video cable. We are planning to quit using the y-cable split, and would be grateful on folks' suggestions on whether we'd get better video with an inexpensive distribution amp or putting the monitor and recorder in series.

Thanks!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Any amp will degrade the signal. I would put them in series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks