What's new

Flexy with black oxide steel and ceramic tile? (1 Viewer)

Ted Drain

Agent
Has anyone built a Flexy rack using black oxide finished steel rods, washers, and bolts from McMaster-Carr? I've seen a lot of people painting stainless steel and plated steel but it seems like this would be a lot better.
You can check them out at (the part # is 94210A150):
http://www.mcmaster.com/param/asp/ps...75;2 55=18523
They have a wide variety of black oxide parts. Does anyone know the quality of the finish? Does it look good enough to leave as is? Is it better to try and paint stainless steel?
FYI: I really wanted to build a Flexy using stone shelves but the price is way too high for me. I'm going to try and build the shelves using an MDF base with solid wood trim and use a 2' x 2' fake marble ceramic tile (or something similar) as the visible shelf material. Something like this:
|--|

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Ted,
You might want to check out counter top installers in your area. They usually carry Corian and other synthetic products that look/act like stone. Places like Home Depot can't sell you a few 20"x20" segments... the installers can (might even let you pick up some free scraps).

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
The black stuff only comes in 6' lengths. Unless you know how to redo the ends, you won't be able to thread a nut over it if you cut it.

The plain steel stuff is very dark gray, comes in different lengths, and is cheaper.

Spray painting it is no big deal. Use lacquer, it goes on thin.

Ted Drain

Agent
Greg,
Thanks for the idea. I'll have to look around for a counter top material that approximates the stone look I'm going for. I was going to hit the custom tile places this weekend (Home Depot/Lowes don't carry 24" x 24" tile) so I may as well hit the counter top places too.

Dan,
None of the rods are the correct length. I'm going to need to cut anything I buy. From what I've found in searching old posts on building flexy racks, if you thread a nut on before you cut you'll be able to remove it and it will clean the end up.

Ted

Chris Pags

Auditioning
I cut all four threaded rods on my flexy and had no problems getting the nuts on. I used a hacksaw and my arm was killing me, but it worked. Even if you did you couldn't get the nuts on you could always work them down from the opposite end.

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
BTW, you can buy 5/8" black threaded rods directly from Salamander for $12/each in 24", 28", and 36" length. McMaster wants $24+ for 6' lengths, so it'd be slighty cheaper and less trouble to buy from Salamander if you need the 28" or 36" rods.
www.mander.com

Ted Drain

Agent
Thanks but I'm going to get 6' lengths of 3/4" rod. I need around 46" height for the total unit and I like the bigger/stronger look of the 3/4".

It will be more $$ but I figure I'm going to have this rack for a long time so it's worth spending a little more to make it just how I want it.

Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks