What's new

Finally upgrading! Anyone know stuff about power supplies? Deciding between these 2.. (1 Viewer)

Kami

Screenwriter
Well I've been chugging along with this for the past 19 months:
P3-700e overclocked to 933MHz
512mb pc133
GeForce2 GTS 32mb
etc.
and now I'll be upgrading...I have all my components decided except the power supply. I know AMD's are really picky and power hungry and I also hear the GF4 needs a nice power supply.
I've narrowed it down to these and please don't suggest other ones, I can get these for good prices:
Antec PP412X: More wattage (400w), 245 watt (!) combined on 3.3v & 5v, but possibly louder?
Enermax EG365P-VE FCA: Less wattage (350w), only 185 watt combined on the 3.3v and 5v rails, but you can tone the fan speed way down to reduce noise.
Noise *is* a concern to me but it's not the main concern (stability is). I also hear that the Antec has a ADDA fan in it, and aren't these relatively quiet? If I had the enermax I would turn the fan speed dial down all the way most likely.
This is all the stuff it will have to power:
-ECS K7S5A
-Athlon XP 1800+ (no overclocking planned at this point)
-512MB Samsung DDR (PC2100)
-Abit GeForce 4 Ti4200 (overclocked to Ti4400 speeds and hopefully Ti4600 speeds)
-SB Audigy
-40GB Maxtor 7200rpm
-15GB Maxtor 7200rpm
-LG CDRW
-Toshiba DVD-ROM
-Linksys NIC
-Firewire card (usually 1 or 2 firewire devices hooked up, but I don't think it's a real issue since the ext. HD is externally powered and the DV-Camera only sends data)
-Floppy
Both power supplies are about the same price, but I'm torn between them. Won't be ordering the parts til next week. Anyone?

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I'm going with the Enermax. I actually bought the wrong model - the FC, but wanted the FCA - nice blue will match my case. :) I've only read good things about enermax. I'm going with a similar set up. You shouldn't need more than the enermax.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I have an Enermax as well. Two in fact...I gave one to a friend, although he never dusts around his computer, so it will be a true torture test to see if it lasts more than a year (he killed 2 powersupplies in one year...the lint buildup was so bad that it wrecked his memory and his CPU fan).

The Enermax I'm using is about 400 watts, 2 fans, one of which is manually adjustable. I should've gotten the cheaper one with the one fan, as I plan to go watercooling one of these days.

Kami

Screenwriter
Carl, the TruPower's are nice but they will be pricey in canada...I have it narrowed down to these two.
I think the strongest points are:
Antec: 245watts on the 3.3v and 5v rails...this PSU could really take a beating and it's probably even sufficient for dual Athlons.
Enermax: dual fans, manually adjustable
So far most people think Enermax, hmm.
I can't wait to build this mofo though :D

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I'm going to second the Antec TruePower suggestion. I have one of these babies myself (the 430W model). It is extremely quiet. You say the Enermax is manually adjustable? This Antec adjusts itself! And I have seen some reports here and there that some Enermax power supplies had some issues with the 5V line.

Kami

Screenwriter
Yeah while I was doing some more reading and searching tonight I came a cross a lot of stuff similar to those links you just posted. Seems Enermax's may not be all they are hyped up to be (at least for faster AMD CPUs).

I am leaning towards the Antec, but as I said already it won't be a trupower one. For one, I can't find any canadian retailers with them. if I bought it in the US the exchange would probably kill it. If the noise is really THAT bad on the Antec then I will just replace the fan with an 80mm Panaflo (only 21dba).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks