What's new

Electrical Interference with A/V Equipment (1 Viewer)

Keith AP

Grip
I am considering moving our HT equipment to another location in our home; one that will introduce various technical considerations such as cable length, power, etc.
Of significant concern (I think) is that this room shares a wall with the outside main electrical panel. The room is 4x7 feet, depicted below with relative postions of the major players.
My question is; "What is the likelihood that there will be electrical interference with A/V equipment?"
Would the extensive wiring in the rear wall produce problems that could effect the equipment (or cables/interconnects) across the 3-4' space? Is there an easy way to determine if a problem exists before I make a final commitment? Has anyone dealt with this firsthand?
Code:
                       +---------+
                       |  MAIN   |
                       |  PANEL  |
+------------------------------------------------------+
| +--------------------------------------------------+ |
| |                        7'                        | |
| |                                                  | |
| |                                                  | | 4'
| | +------------+                                   | |
| | |    A/V     |                                   | |
| | | EQUIPMENT  |                                   | |
| | |            |                                   | |
| +-----------------------------+                +---+ |
+-------------------------------+                +-----+
------------------

Eric S

Agent
I wouldn't be surprised if the electical box on the outside of the wall did cause interference of some sort, but only if your equipment is directly through the wall from it. I wouldn't suspect any problem from across the room.
I have recently moved my stack of AV equipment into a closet to keep the equipment away from my new little son. On the other side of one of the walls is our electric clothes dryer. When the motor or heating element click on or off I get a distinct "click" or "pop" from my speakers that I did not used to get before I moved the equipment. Its nothing really serious, just enough to notice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.