What's new

Eddie are you kidding? Dataplay discs... (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Eddie wasn't kidding about the new double knits...when I first saw the new double knits I was not impressed...(thanks Frank Z!) Would yo buy into the Dataplay system of "little CD's" in an MD type sleeve? Would anybody? It sounds like bad idea jeans to me.
www.dataplay.com
www.evolutionnow.com
I haven't looked at these links yet. They came out of an article in my local paper/kitty litter organization.
The discs will supposedly cost $16, for highly compressed music, what a deal!:D What the world needs now is a worse sounding, copy-guarded, expensve disc? Eddie are you kidding?
250 megabytes per side, both rcordable but not erasable. Blank discs will cost $5 to $12, they say. Players $300 to $370, about june....
It sounds worse than MP3 and MiniDisc all flavours. Eddie are you kidding? Who'd want this? BMG, Universal, and EMI are supposed to be releasing discs. People they want us off CD's so bad they can just taste it!... me thinks??? What kind of attempt is this? Feeble I'd say!

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
DataPlay strikes me as a system designed in much the same vein as Circuit City's DIVX and the music industry's SDMI. That is to say, many of its "benefits" involve ways the vendors can benefit at YOUR expense. DRM is an excellent example. I don't need my rights "managed", thank you very much. $12 price tags for write-once discs are another. I even saw one guy quoted as saying that he thought people would just buy their CD collections over again on DataPlay discs, rather than recording CDs to DataPlay discs(!!!)
According to one thread I saw, the 250 MB or 500 MB DataPlay discs may come stuffed with as many as FOUR locked albums, on top of the one that you can actually access after forking over $16. The DataPlay and record company types apparently figure that it's a cheap way for them to market four albums. (When they sell you the other albums, they don't have to pay anything for the media.)
By my calculations, 74 minutes into 100 MB gives you a bit rate of only about 175 Kbps.
Doesn't this make you want to discard your CDs, MiniDiscs, LPs, DVD-As, and SACDs and go out and embrace this system right away? ;)

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
First album on CD - a Billy Joel album.

First album on DataPlay - a Brittney Spears album.

Enough said.

AaronD

Stunt Coordinator
The music aside, for just purely computer data applications it would be pretty cool to have a 500MB disc thats just bigger than a quarter... As long as it was relatively inexpensive and semi-fast.

But, I've got no interest in compressed 'managed' music.

-Aaron

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
The music aside, for just purely computer data applications it would be pretty cool to have a 500MB disc thats just bigger than a quarter... As long as it was relatively inexpensive and semi-fast.
Not sure how much they have dropped in price, but the IBM Microdrive (http://www.steves-digicams.com/microdrive.html) was intriguing for micro sized data storage.
Sorry Dataplay, but paying money for MP3 quality songs is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of, regardless of the form factor. No quality = no sale.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Rachel- Billy was a mountain and Ethel was his wife, a tree on top of his shoulder...
Studebaker Hawk and Aunt Jamima syrup...
Always makes me laugh. :)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Doesn't anybody want one? Anybody? The disc is too small to write the title on anyway, isn't it? DataPlay might do as well as DCSS, eh?:D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
The only thing that DataPlay is missing is "pay per play". Maybe Circuit City will push that version of DataPlay. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks