What's new

dvi versus s-video improvements (1 Viewer)

Kevin T

Screenwriter
hello...i will be receiving a dvi to hdmi cable in the mail by friday and would like to know what kind of improvements to expect on dvd's versus the s-video cable i have now. i will be connecting a denon dvd-5900 to a sony vpl-hs3 lcd projector. will the improvements be dramatic or subtle. any info or experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

kevin t

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator
With my 34"XBR910 and Denon 1815, DVI kills both svid and component. Kills.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yesh, its a huge leap from Svideo to DVI. You'll definitely see an improvement

ChongLM

Auditioning
Anyone know is there such a cable that connects to the DVI output at the graphics card side and Component input at the TV side?

I'm trying to get the best image quality from my PC to the widescreen 36" TV.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
ATI has a DVI HDTV adapter that does that thing. Haven't tried it with other than ATI cards so don't know if it works with other DVI outputs.

Jonty Rees

Stunt Coordinator
I have no input on input for you, but I'd really appreciate some feedback on the HS3. I have another thread here somewhere asking about this unit. My local store has them on sale today and tomorrow for $997, and I'm tempted. Can you give me a quick pro and con review? I have no prior experience with projectors or RPTVs. I would only be using it for watching movies - the whole appeal of a projector is that it would allow me to keep my entertainment-center-bound 35" tv for normal cable TV watching, with a screen that would pull down in front.

RonaldS

Grip
Regarding "34XBR910 and Denon 1815, DVI kills both svid and component. Kills."

I have a 34XBR910 and am trying to decide what kind of DVD Player to get. I thought that getting a DVD Player with DVI output direct into the DVI input in the 34XBR910 was the way to go, but a lot of comments seem to say that there should be no difference between component and DVI input because the 34XBR910 is a direct view CRT and that the DVI input would make a difference only with fixed pixel displays like plasma. Can you help me sort out my confusion?

Mark:F - Are you using a DVD player to input into your 34XBR910 DVI input or some other source?

Thanks so much.

:confused:

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator
RonaldS - I connect HDTV via DVI and the Denon with component....I could only compare DVI vs component for HDTV and the DVI was far superior....I think most folks in this forum are down on DVD players with DVI output...build quality issues...search for threads in the audio/video sources forum.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps I'm incorrect, but I was under the impression that DVI/HDMI only provided benefits over component when using a digital display. The reason being that using any other current type of interconnect requires D/A conversion and using DVI allows the info to stay all digital. If you're using a direct view set you're going to have to do the conversion anyway so you're losing the benefit.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
With a DirectView set, rather than going Digital (source) -> Analog (Component) -> Digital (HD) -> Analog (CRT), you're just going Digital (source) -> Analog (CRT)

Not totally sure, but thats the way i saw it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks