What's new

DVDprofiler.com down? (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Even if the fine folks at profile went belly up I would still use Profiler. THe $25 initial fee was for lifetime updates (For the life of the program) and for the use of Hi Rez Images, and the lack of Advertisements. While part of the program uses the servers profiler setup for common share of the DB pool and images, and for allowing the web access of "My Profiler" the program is not relying on those servers. THe basic functionality of the program is there whether those servers are up or down. DVD Profiles can be hand entered and images can be scanned. My $25 never guaranteed me that those servers would be there forever.

Those servers certainly make it convienient to add disks but its not a deal breaker. With over 800 DVD's already in my library it's eay enough to add the profile and scan the image as you get a new disk. No scanner you say ? OK , go to Buy.com search on the disk, click on the larger image link and save the image in the Window as a bmp file. Use this image to import into Profiler. Want a Back image DVD Empire keeps these use the same technique.

Seriously , I've never used a DVD Program as good as Profiler without the server capabilities. Good luck finding another that does what it does and offers the server functions as well. If the folks at profiler have moved on I wish them well, you've certainly given me alot for my 25 bucks.

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock

Interesting. I'm running WinXP Pro and Firefox version .8 also. It keeps wanting to save the page to a file ("You have chosen to open [blank link] from: http://www.dvdprofiler.com/ which is a: application/octet-stream"). I even tried disabling all the extensions. Same problem.

Joe McKeown

Stunt Coordinator

Ken, That was over 4 days ago... I'm sorry to post on the negative side of the issue here, but it's time to throw us a bone. At this point the webpage is outright dishonest. We are adults capable of understanding, and if it is a screw-up involved, we are capable of forgiving. If you tell us someone got drunk and stuck a fork in the power supply, we'll laugh it off too.

But, honestly so long without even a word is too much. No one is going to be calling for blood, even if the problem is bad. At this point the silence is worse than whatever the problem is.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
For my .02¢ worth, I have to agree that if a business goes into something without the ability to grow and expand or have emergency backups available "when needed", then there is poor planning on their part. For a service the size of IVS to be a side business is also a bit ridiculous and maybe they need to sell out or get others involved to handle the mechanics side?

We also know that IVS is monitoring these posts and for them to not give us a flow of update information is unprofessional... or they are just overwhelmed and don't want to admit it? We need to know what direction to turn to. Be patient and how long or look elsewhere.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler

Sounds like they got hit with a virus? But still, poor planning to not have a backup server or temporary service to go to until the main systems are back up. Even if they are slower, it's better than nothing.

Hal Schneider

Auditioning
How did some of you people ever survive BEFORE DVDProfiler????

I find it incredible that some are so worked up over this situation, to the point of distraction!

Talking about finding a different program, just because the on-line database is unavaiable for a few days. I may have an addiction to DVD's, but some of you are apparently addicted to the cataloguing program itself!!!

Like someone else implied, if this site is that important to your daily survival, you should be examining your priorites!

Give it a break!!!!

William Waits

Stunt Coordinator

Not from the rhetoric that is spewing from here... nearly everyone posting seems to be ready to jump ship, and so fast to boot...

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Tony_Faville

You miss the point here. IVS provides a service, one where everyone has devoted many hours of data entry and updating their collections over years of time. To not be able to access the site for an extended period of time is frustrating at the least. It's called "Customer Service". If you have ever worked in a high profile or public job you would be familiar with the term and its meaning!

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
I love DVD Profiler and use it on a daily basis. With this outage I realize how much the service is worth to me. I would gladly pay a yearly fee to use it.

I am not complaining at all about this outage, but I have the right to react however I want, regardless of how trivial others may think it is. To each their own.

Seymour Uranowitz

Stunt Coordinator
Guilty as charged. :)

I'm not too worked up about the down time, though. It's just a fun activity that I can't do right now. It'll be back.

It's also kinda fun to see all the folks here who share the same addiction. We're usually pretty low-key about it. :)

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
I think alot of people just want an ETA for when the site/database would come back online. I know sometimes that's not possible but it would put alot of people's nerves at ease.

StevenF

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think that it is a matter of everyone getting PO'd or jumping ship. It is a matter of the people who run the website/program taking the time/courtesy to inform their customers of the situation. I would understand not saying anything if the site was down for a day or so, but 1 week? I think that is is only right to inform their clients of the situation.
If your favorite DVD store or DVD online store stopped working for a week and did not inform you of what was going on... would you keep going back to them... or go somewhere else?

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
True, DVDProfiler has been down before, but I've been using it since Dec 2002 and this is by far the longest outage they've ever had. When I first got DVD Profiler, I only had about 60 titles. Thanks largely to having an easy way to organize things, I now have 782. I may not have needed it before, but I sure do now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks