What's new

DVD Low Frequency Question? (1 Viewer)

RichardG

Auditioning
I am not sure weather to ask this question here or the software section.

I was just curious which DVDs are encoded with frequencies that go below 20hz. I've read somewhere on the forum that TPM can go down to 10hz and was wondering which other DVDs are recorded to go this low or around this low.

Maybe it's a dumb question but was going to build a vented sub and was going to tune it to around 20hz. But if movies can go lower, I may aim for a sub that is tuned to about 16-18 give or take.

Thanks for any answers/comments.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

RichardG

Auditioning
Thanks J.Fo! That was exactly what I was looking for. Anymore sites like this with similiar information?

Jon D

Stunt Coordinator
Quick list of movies that I'm aware of that have a great deal of under 20 Hz signal, and many are strong below 10 Hz as well, though virtually no sub can reproduce this kind of bass with any authority. Quick note: most movie soundtracks don't have much (if any) bass this low, but since TPM was released, the number seems to be on the rise. Most movies released before mid 99 don't have extremely deep bass (exceptions aside).

The Phantom Menace (lethal levels down to below 10 Hz)

The Haunting (insanely loud levels including localized subharmonic bass tones. Check out the HUGE 20 Hz signal during the door pounding scene)

Toy Story 2 intro (more massive subharmonic bass)

Titan A.E. (possibly the loudest, deepest bass you will ever hear. Very scary, it's sent a few of my speakers to the floor)

Jurassic Park III (it sounds a little bloated, but it's deeper than hell)

U571 (punishing bass that shakes the room like few others)

Volcano (everybody seems to forget this one, but it has some killer bass)

Fight Club (some bass head had a little too much fun with this one. Matches Titan A.E. for bass levels)

Pearl Harbor (when the Arizona explodes, it really goes BOOM)

The Ultimate T2 (only shows up in a few places, mainly big explosions and the nuclear dream sequences)

I'm sure Lord of the Rings will be added here when it is released.

RichardG

Auditioning
LOTR should definitly be on that list!

It's just amazing how low these DVD go! I guess I am gonna start building my sub - and even though I won't be able to go to those super low levels, I am certainly sure I am gonna be happy with the levels I can get.

The fun part - I bet - is trying to get to that extra frequency or two with each new project!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks