What's new

Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd (2003)

Bruce_S

Second Unit
Title: Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd

Tagline: The evolution of dumb...

Genre: Comedy

Director: Troy Miller

Cast: Derek Richardson, Eric Christian Olsen, Mimi Rogers, Luis Guzmán, Rachel Nichols, Eugene Levy, Teal Redmann, Shia LaBeouf, Lin Shaye, Elden Henson, William Lee Scott, Michelle Krusiec, Dana Gould, Brian Posehn, Jeff Cesario, Cheri Oteri, Bob Saget, Timothy Stack, Wayne Federman, Lucas Gregory, Holly Towne, Josh Braaten, Vahe Manoukian, Carl Mazzocone, Tally Barr, Lawrence Jordan, Nancy M. Pimental, Julia Duffy, Kevin Centazzo, Tess Brewer, Jill Talley, Stacey Hill, Nathan Wright, Roger Eschbacher, Julie Costello, Shawnie Costello, Dawn Michelle King, Colin Ford, Aaron Kaplan

Release: 2003-04-14

Runtime: 85

Plot: This wacky prequel to the 1994 blockbuster goes back to the lame-brained Harry and Lloyd's days as classmates at a Rhode Island high school, where the unprincipled principal puts the pair in remedial courses as part of a scheme to fleece the school.

Hi,

I came around this new trailer for the upcoming summer flick. It looks alright. We'll see how they do against the original.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/d/dumbanddumberer.php

Enjoy,

bruce

LennyP

Supporting Actor
Drives suv off mulholland, still alive, "That's not a new trailer btw, it's the old, first teaser that doesn't have any footage." Then shoots self.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Lenny, there is the teaser and the full trailer on the site. The full trailer is in windows media and the teaser was quicktime.

Seeing how Dumb & Dumber is my all time favorite movie, I was disappointed with the footage. It looks mildly entertaining and I think they did Harry and Lloyd all wrong. They made them caricatures of them, and over the top ones at that. I think they are trying too hard to be funny rather than just being funny.

Only redeeming quality of the trailer was the LOTR music and font.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Well say/think what you will of this prequel, but you have to admit that the guy playing Lloyd Christmas really nailed the part. He looks/acts amazingly like Jim Carrey did. Well done!

I am not convinced that the show itself will be any good, especially with Eugene Levy in it. (He can be okay, but generally I don't care for shows with him in it).

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
Jason, you're kidding...right?

No sane human being would admit Dumb and Dumber was his favorite movie, would he??????

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Being that Jim Carrey is no where near this film, it has been upgraded to "might rent" status.

I couldn't get more than 15 minutes into the original without turning it off.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member

(picks up discarded weapon, shoots self in head)

This looks just about as bad as it could be. I've taken a lot of flak because of my admiration of Dumb and Dumber. I think its the shining jewel in the "dumb comedy" genre with excellent comic timing and great commitment from its stars.

This, on the other hand, looks like the worst of the dumb comedy genre took over the reigns. From what I saw, they even brought in teen comedy in this to make it worse.

I was planning on seeing this just out of the hope that it could keep some of the brilliance of the first, but now I see little hope. :frowning:

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
Jason, I got your back. Dumb and Dumber is my all-time favorite movie, too. I still remember the first time I watched it in the theater ... I was crying most of the movie b/c I was laughing so hard. I ended up having to go back and watch it again because I missed at least a third of the dialogue because I was laughing so hard.

I gotta be honest, though. This se-, err ... prequel doesn't look like it will hold up to the original. It almost looks like they're combining Dumb and Dumber with Road Trip and American Pie. The original had the Farrelly brothers, Jim Carrey, Jeff Daniels, Lauren Holly (mmm)... and now we've got a bunch of no-names (save Eugene Levy) ... it doesn't look good.

Adam Horak

Stunt Coordinator
I can not tell you how dissapointed I was to hear that Carrey and Daniels were not back for this movie. After seeing this trailer I have no desire to see it at all. Dumb & Dumber is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. Even after seeing it as many time as I have, I still laugh hysterically. It looks like the new one will be a truley horrible flick.

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
This film looks just like a total disaster. Of course, it will probably make millions from all those too senseless to know any better. Do not ruin a masterpiece by making this ridiculous bantha poo doo.

AJG

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I'm not so down on it after seeing the footage because of one obvious comparison...the "flashback" sequence in Goldmember in which the 3 kids (AP, DrE, #2) were almost funnier than their adult counterparts. That was one of the better parts of that film I felt.

So, it's possible to do and in this case the characters do seem to look like them and have the mannerisms.

But I also agree on the caricature view as well. I can see that.

And I also wondered about them being too with it at times in the trailer. At one point it seems like they are initiating a wet T-shirt contest which seems out of character for guys who let the bikini team bus drive away in the last film.

IMO, if the film fails it will probably be more in the script than from the lack of Carrey/Daniels after all...unless we consider whatever input to the script those 2 had during the filming.

But this is not the end of cinema as we know it. It looks to be 5 times better than Meatballs 3, for example, which really ruined the spirit of the original film (Meatballs 2 didn't exactly help either). It's important to keep our bad films in perspective since it's not like they were just invented this year.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Do not ruin a masterpiece
Masterpiece?!?!?!?

Ok, reality check guys. This movie (and the original) are SUPPOSED to be dumb! Hence the name! They are TELLING you the movie is dumb IN THE TITLE!

Don't look for cerebral humor here guys. Expect fart jokes and lots of them. Toilet humor will most probably abound, and people will flock to this flick as they did the original, because not everyone in the worlds needs sophisticated humor to amuse themselves.

Moe.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Moe, you seem to miss our appreciation for how well the original mastered the concept of a "dumb comedy". I mean, it had every element you had listed in a way that was just side splittingly funny.

It is a masterpiece of stupidity.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Yeah that wet t-shirt contest does seem out of character. It was Jim Carrey btw that gave the idea to rewrite the ending to the original. The script had them getting on the bus but Jim said that these guys never would be that smart. :D

Dumb & Dumber may be dumb comedy but I think the subtle and not so subtle mannerisms and emphasis' that Carrey and Daniels bring to the screen are what put this comedy above the average dumb/teen/grossout comedy that we see every other month. In that sense it truely is a masterpiece. :D

Jason F.

Stunt Coordinator
As a HUGE fan of the first movie, it's actually ONE of my favorite movies, but I am really dissapointed at the trailer. I really hope the movie is better than the trailer suggests.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
Wait a sec, Carrey and Daniels aren't even in it?? AAAAHAHHAHAHAHAAHH! Who's the genius who thought up that concept?!

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks