What's new

Did UPS shut down for a whole friggin week in fear of another 9/11 or what? (1 Viewer)

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Inquiring minds want to know...

I've got two UPS Ground packages on the way, one which should have arrived Thursday and another due on Tuesday. Neither one has shown any tracking activity since about 1:30-2:30am on Wednesday September 11.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I'm sure it is a coincidence. Ground is the lowest priority service offered by UPS so the packages have probably been collecting dust at some airport as overnight and two day freight gets loaded first.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I received a package ON 9/11 (via 2nd day mail)... It may just be ground packages... but I am pretty sure that the mail was moving.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
you know, come to think of it I mailed a game on the 9th and it STILL hasn't made it to the receiver :angry:

KyleS

Screenwriter
Mail should be a little slower with tighter security on air over the week which I am sure causes delays for all the carriers.

KyleS

Benjamin_L

Stunt Coordinator
Did UPS shut down for a whole friggin week in fear of another 9/11 or what?
Regarding the ground packages, it was a coincidence. At least if the 60-70,000 packages sorted during my shift every day last week are any indication. Dunno about the 2nd day air and higher. Sorry you had bad luck with your packages, I hope someone finds them soon.

Coming from an employee who worked the evening of 9/11 last year, that's a pretty offensive suggestion. Please don't think I'm trying to start a flame war, here, I'm just one of many fellows here who takes his/her job (be it only part-time) seriously.

right, back to DVDs.

-B

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Of course overnight and 2nd day packages take priority, but UPS does guarantee an arrival date even for ground packages. At their web site you can enter a zip code for the point of origin and see a color coded map showing how many days it takes to ship ground to any part of the country. One of my packages was coming from three states away and the map showed two days, the other package was coming from the other coast and the map showed five days.
Update: the second package has new tracking activity and it seems like it might arrive on Tuesday, apparently beating the first package which had 2000 less miles to travel. Somewhere between Richmond and Atlanta a UPS truck has been missing since Tuesday night, and the tropical storm is not an excuse because that truck should have been in Atlanta three days before the storm went through the Carolinas.
Sorry to offend, but my point of view is based on the following. First, UPS does fly airplanes, so the company is not immune to 9/11 security concerns. Second, I know that UPS employees are unionized by the Teamsters. I apologize for the stereotype but that knowledge instantly brings to my mind all the negative experiences I've had dealing with unionized freight handlers as an exhibitor at trade shows in cities across the country. Anyone else who's had a booth on the floor in Las Vegas knows where I'm coming from.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Update: the package which departed Virginia on Tuesday 9/10, due in Atlanta by Wednesday 9/11, and due at my house on Thursday 9/12... has just been unloaded off the truck...

... at the Los Angeles UPS hub in Grande Vista, California.

Assuming there are no further screw ups, the odometer on my package will have a mere 4000 miles on it when it finally shows up.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I actually got two packages on 9/11 one from UPS ground the other was FedEx Ground (I believe the old RPS) and I got another FedEx Ground on 9/12. Sorry to hear about your well-travelled package!

Jay

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
The second package (the one that started in California, not the one that ended up in California) arrived today. This one is somewhat fragile so I'm pleased to say that it had no unnecessary miles and it arrived safely. Here's some pics of what I got:

Benjamin_L

Stunt Coordinator
damn. you rock.

I was lusting after those things when theonering.net posted the link a while back.

If you told me that UPS broke your ringwraiths, I might have just had a seizure and then watched my head explode.

-B

Paul D Young

Second Unit
Hey Ben,
I work at UPS as well. I'm at the CACH facility and we sort about 390,000 - 400,000 packages on the day shift. We load about 40,000 of those in my outbound each day sort. Although I didn't work on Sept. 11 because I was on vacation, it sounded like it was business as usual over there.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Update: the package which departed Virginia on Tuesday 9/10, due in Atlanta by Wednesday 9/11, and due at my house on Thursday 9/12... has just been unloaded off the truck...

... at the Los Angeles UPS hub in Grande Vista, California.
i'm guessing you live in the eastern half of the u.s.? in any case, sorry to hear about that...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks