What's new

Crackling sound (1 Viewer)

Boris_V

Agent
I'm a happy owner of a new home theater sound system. As i was listening to my new speakers for the first time my only reaction was: WOW!!! It was 10 times better than the sound my previous system was capable of producing (it was a cheap surround speaker system for the computer for about 130 bucks). My setup now consists of four B&W DM303 bookshelf speakers for front and rear left/right, one B&W LCR3 speaker for the center position, one Sony SA-WM40 subwoofer and the TX-DS595 receiver from Onkyo, the cables are also quality products from QED, an english company. Previously i was about to buy speakers from Jamo (the E6 series), but i was given the advice not to go with them 'couse the quality isn't comparable with B&W, and luckily as i am i got a discount on the B&Ws of 15%.
Now, as i mentioned before, the sound is really good but after hearing some DVD movies i found the sound to be "crackling" sometimes, particularly when the sound becomes loud and brighter. Sometimes even when the dialog is played little louder i hear the crackling. What's the problem? I can't believe that my speakers can't handle sounds at higher volume levels (and i don't mean ear bleeding volume levels, just "loud") or that the receiver hasn't enough amplifier power since all i bought is quality stuff and it costs a lot (at least for me). I read that some DVDs are recorded badly and that that could be the problem but then, don't they test the DVDs before they sell them?
Help is appreciated.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Post the specific movies and times that you hear the crackling. There are a few soundtracks that have this "crackling" eminating from the centre channel when cranked. It is a soundtrack issue and nothing to do with hardware. The Fifth Element has this phenomenon.
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

Jason_C

Auditioning
I used to have a speaker that does that. When ever I turn the volumn up a bit, I would hear something like statics or distored sounds. So I took the speaker that has the problem apart and found that a very tiny little piece of magnet has broken off of the big magnet. And what cause the static is when you turn your volumn high up, it causes the little magnet to vibrates. Once I removed that piece of tiny magnet, I never had that problem again.
HTH

Boris_V

Agent
The crackling sound appears on several DVDs i had recently such as Space Cowboys, Lake Placid, The Perfect Storm, etc. But it is mainly very rare, at some speaking parts. Gladiator for example was perfect.
Jason_C: It can't be a defective speaker 'couse then it would happen on music too.

Boris_V

Agent
I would appreciate any opinion on the B&W DM303s and the LCR3 speaker and the B&W-Onkyo combination.

Jason_C

Auditioning
Boris, It was the same to me too. I was watching a few DVD and it only happens on a couple of them, and only if the volumn is high. If your volumn is the same for all and it still happens then I dont know what happens. Could it be the scatches on your DVD?? I am just guessing.
Good Luck

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
This really sounds like distortion on the audio (centre channel) of a few DVD's. If you have The Fifth Element, play that and let us know if you experience the same phenomenon and exactly where in the soundtrack you hear the "crackling". How bright do you have your speakers set too. I am just thinking that if they are set very bright, then it is easier to notice the crackling.
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
this could be hard to isolate. some guesses off the top of my head:
  • speaker setting: are your speakers set to small? that should (i think?) drive all the lfe's to your sub.
  • connections: make sure your connections are tight, especially your speaker wire
  • dvd player: you said this only happens on dvd's? maybe something's wrong with your player?
can't really think of anything else off the top of my head. if the crackling is coming from all the speakers, then i would think the receiver is at fault - maybe the dvd input is funky. try swapping inputs - put your cd player into the dvd input and run the audio - see if you hear the crackling? that'll help eliminate the dvd vs. the receiver.
------------------
"The ship of death has a new captain." - nosferatu (1922)

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I think Neil's nailed the problem. It's a well known problem and has been discussed at length in the past.
Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks