What's new

connecting two receivers via sub pre-out? (1 Viewer)

airmacks114

Auditioning
Real Name
Maxwell
Hey,

My question is how can I go about connecting two receivers when the first in the chain has no front or surround pre-outs. I would like to have my Harmon Kardon 146 connected to an older but more powerful sony receiver. The 146 has no standard pre-outs (as mentioned) but it does have a sub pre-out. In the manual it goes into further depth about how you should only use this connection for subs, but seeing as how there are options to adjust the crossover levels I was wondering if it could be used alternatively. Just curious if anybody had tried anything similar to this. Otherwise I will most likely use the headphone jack to preform a daisy chain of sorts.

Real Name
Freddie Ross
I wouldn't do this. The sub preout should only be used for subs as the manual says. The crossover should be used for telling the receiver when to stop feeding the mains and when to start feeding the sub. I'm not completely sure why you'd want to be doing what you're asking about, as you really shouldn't even use the second receiver even if the H/K had preouts. You would have a conflict since the Sony has it's own preamp stage with volume controls and such, so I don't think there would be any benefit from doing this. Preouts are generally used for power amps that have no preamp stage of their own, other than perhaps a gain control to adjust how it and the preamp work together.

How come you aren't just using the Harmon/Kardon's amp? If it isn't pushing enough to drive whatever speakers you're using, you may just want to look at a new receiver (or seperates).

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Careful how you compare power. What Sony says is sometimes very different from what you get. HK is known to be somewhat honest in their power ratings. Plus, they generally give the rating with all channels driven, instead of 2 like most MFGs. It may not be as big a difference as you think.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks