What's new

College makes me poor (and in a dilemma).. (1 Viewer)

KellyR

Agent
I'm just not going to have the money for a nice 5.1 or 6.1 system this holiday season. I only have $650 (not including money for wires) and I'm not quite finding anything cheap enough that is good enough for now. I'm debating just getting a decent 6.1 reciever (Yamaha RX-V540), a nice set of floor standing speakers (such as Klipsch F1 or a DefTech equivelent), and a decent sub for the time being. My only requirements are I need at least two component video in (one for the progressive scan DVD player and one for the Xbox)and two or three optical in ports. Is it a good idea to hold out for better surrounds and a center(s) as opposed to getting a HTIB or possibly getting crap speakers all around? Will it still sound good (even though I don't have all the speakers)?

My friend works at a electronics store so I can get things pretty cheap so I'm sure I can get a decent reciever, a pair of floor standing speakers, and a decent sub for $650. I guess while your reading this I sould ask you for recommendations on a reciever and a sub. As I mentioned above, I'm torn between the Klipsch F1's and similar priced DefTech's (I can get either for around $120 + or - 10% each)and I'll figure that out since it can be largely subjective, but can you guys help me with a reciever and woofer? For the reciever I just need brands and model numbers similar to the Yamaha above. The store doesn't carry everything but it carrys a lot of good brands like HK, Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha, etc. Comparitive to the Yam aha above, what is another good reciever of each of those brands (that meet my requirements)? Also, any recommendations for a sub? Should the sub match the floor speakers? For those that take the time to read this long post, thanks.

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
Just don't go the HTIB route. I was in the same situation and opted for 3 speakers and a receiver instead. A few months later, I completed my 6.1 setup. Also, make sure you're satisfied with the sound quality and have demo'ed the products before purchase. I bought a lower end pioneer receiver based on recommendation and ended up replacing it a couple months later.

KellyR

Agent
Good news! My wife suggested that we just get the whole thing and any extra will be put on our credit card. I never thought about that (I don't use credit cards often) so I guess I will be getting the whole thing anyways. So I went to the store and demo'ed some stuff. I'm thinking about:

-Onkyo RX-V601 6.1 reciever (or comparable... I still can't figure out what to get)

-Klipsch SC-.5 center

-RW-8 woofer (or would you recommend sticking with all Synergy series products and getting a KSW-10 or KSW-12?)

-a pair of either SB1 or SS1 for the surrounds(they both sounded good, which should produce the most accurate sound?)

-a pair SF1 floor speakers for the fronts.

I can get the speakers for approximately $651.90 . Is this a good deal? Also, I really need help picking a reciever. Any suggestions?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Good luck on assembling a system, Kelly. FYI, since you're asking for specific recommendations and since you seem focused on the receiver, I've moved your thread here. The Basics area is for, as the name would suggest, asking about home-theater basics — definitions, explanations, etc., regarding the essentials of home theater. Not for specific model recommendations. JB

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I think it's important that you pick your speakers first and then get a receiver that has the features you want and can drive the speakers to the volumes you want in the room they'll be in. Since this is a good friend, see about arranging for tryouts of 2 or 3 speaker models. Don't let haste and the "damn, that's a good deal" be the overriding factors, otherwise you'll be back in a month talking about 'how long does it take Klipsch or whatever to break in'. Buyer's remorse and all that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks