What's new

Cleaning silk-screened text off the face of components. (1 Viewer)

James D S

Screenwriter
Does anyone know how this could be done without harming the finish.

The two components I want to do this to are my Denon 4802 and Panasonic RP91.

The RP91, in particular, is anodized champange so cleaning of all the silk-screened text, of which there is a lot, might harm the finish.

Does anyone have a method that I could use that wouldn't allow damage to the faceplates.

In case anyone is wondering why I want to do this, I think clean faces look classier. And the RP91 has just too much junk written on the face and would look considerably better, IMO, were they removed.

Thanks.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
If the faceplate is a brushed or polished metal, you should be able to use acetone (fingernail polish remover) fairly well. However, do not use it on plastic.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
[ACTION] Stands in utter disbelief while circling his ear
with his pointer finger, mumbling Si Loco in De Cabase[/ACTION]
God Bless America... :D

StephenMSmith

Stunt Coordinator
Please tell how it turns out. My RP-91 is really stands out in my rack due to all the ridiculous lettering. Why do these guys think they have to put the whole marketing brochure on the faceplate? It's so un-classy.

Steve

James D S

Screenwriter
Stephen,
:) Yeah, that's my problem. I realize that the RP91 has features out the wahzoo, but do you have to list every one of them on the faceplate. Many makers puts a nice removeable sticker on the top, but Panasonic thought it would be look good to have all that nonsense cluttering up what is otherwise a beautiful finish.
Now, if I just had the balls to try it. I had acetone in hand the other night, but couldn't bring myself to try Clinton's recomendation. :frowning:

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
If it is indeed anodized aluminum, try some lacquer thinner. Also there is a chemical called "Chlorinite 8" (methylene chloride?), if you can find it be careful and try in a inconspicuous area first to make sure it wont damage the anodizing.

These may work but: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Try some sand paper :D
Yeah, I like the clean look too. NAD in particular has taken it to the other extreme. If they left anything else off, you wouldn't be able to tell who made it! :eek:

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
When I worked for a pro-audio company, we silk screened the company logo on all the road cases. If this is the same thing the on home components, we used mineral spirits to dissolve the stuff. Again, try at your own risk.

I have an easy solution for black components, though. I just carefully cut a small piece of black electrical tape with a razor knife and cover the stupid logos. In a low- to medium-light home theater environment, you never notice it from the viewing position, and even up close you don’t notice it unless you are looking for it. I’ve cleaned up the appearance all my JVC VCRs, which are practically like billboards.

Happy Holidays,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

StephenMSmith

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm. That's a good point. I use tiny pieces of black electrical tape to hide a few unnecessary LED's in my system, and I sure can't discern the actual tape unless I'm really up close.

I'd prefer to just remove it though, so I'll let James try out a few different acids and report if he found one that worked before I go the tape route.

Steve

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Mineral spirits is, in easy terms, oil based house paint thinner, and is milder than Acetone, if Acetone does not remove the logo's I really doubt mineral spirits will, but wouldn't hurt to try I guess.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Wait, it’s all coming back to me now! :) We used the mineral spirits when we flubbed a screen, so the ink was still fresh. For old beat-up logos, we just spray-painted over them and re-screened.
Sean is right. If Acetone didn't get it, mineral spirits sure won't. Sorry for the false alarm.
Hey, that’s it! Just paint over them! :D
Happy Holidays,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
You might try a citris based solvent. There are differnt types and brands, which all escape me right now except for a product called ~{GOO GONE}~...
They are cirtic acids in an oil base. They will remove perment ink but require some soaking. For the most part are harmless to metal & ~{Plastic for short periods of time}~.
You might try a piece of tissue soaked in the soulition and hold it in place on a section of lettering. On the metal no worry, ~{but plastic use at your own risk when soaking, rubbing or agitating}~!!! This may take some time and a soft toothbrush for agitation. Can't say it will work for sure, as I've never tried removeing what your trying, but had (excellent results) removeing perment ink and screening on other metal and plastic stuff!
It will take a little time and patients but ~MAY~ work. You should be able to tell if it's haveing an effect the first time you begen to agitate and wipe. It is harmless to the metal.
May work may not, {but generaly, will be harmless to the metal alumn surface}... Just another idea, also this product should be easy to find at your local hardware or K-mart. There are other much stronger types of citris based cleaners, but im sorry that thier brand names escape me at this time. You might try asking once at the store......
Geoff

James D S

Screenwriter
Thanks Geoff. Goo Gone is pretty easy to get a hold of so I'll pick some up when I'm out and about tonight.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I'm not sure Goo-Gone is gonna touch that, but I LOVE Goo-Gone!! It removes all that nasty leftover goo from price tags and such!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks