What's new

Clean/uncluttered looking 6.1 receiver? (1 Viewer)

StevenK

Second Unit
I'm trying to find a new receiver to power my new NHT 2.5i's. I would very much prefer it to be of the 6.1 variety. Of the ones I've seen (Denon 2802 - 5800, Onkyo TX-DX797 - Integra DTR 9.1, etc...), they seem way to cluttered with myriads of tiny buttons on the fascia and a glaring VFD.

I've found the Arcam Diva receiver which looks phenomenal with that brushed aluminum finish and very few buttons....but it is only a 5.1 receiver.

Can someone point me to a similar looking receiver but with DD-EX and DTS-ES support....preferably for around $1000?

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
IMO it does not get any better than the Onkyo 797, it has only basic inputs buttons on the brushed aluminum faceplate, and it also has a brushed aluminum volume knob, very nice look, and most importantly it soudns good.

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
He mentioned the 797 as one of the ones he thinks is too cluttered. You might look at some of the Yammies. The HRT-5490 has a very spare looking front panel. This receiver is functionally identical (w/o preouts) to the V1200, but I do not know what that faceplate looks like. Yammies are not simple receivers to operate though, even though some of them look very spartan.

StevenK

Second Unit
Out of the big brands, I would have to agree with you that the 797 looks the nicest. But take a looks at the Arcam Diva AVR100 to see what I'm talking about when I say clean.

I know sound should be the ultimate deciding factor...and if it were, my preference would also be the Onkyo as I am extremely satisfied with my 676. However, there are other more important factors in the decision process...THE S.O. Factor! She absolutely abhors the look of my beloved 676 (and I'm not too fond of it either)....the 797 won't convince her to go 6.1 thanks to its looks.

StevenK

Second Unit
EricHaas--

Thank you for the advice on the Yammies. They do indeed look pretty darn nice. I wonder if they have aluminum (colored...not material wise) finish. I know the top end model offers a gold finish. In any event...I'm gonna demo them after work.

StevenK

Second Unit
Evan S--
Yes I have....I've even demoed it. I like the sound (still prefer my Onkyo believe or not) and love the price ($499 from some places), but really dislike the looks....which is the point of me starting this thread ;) Moreover, I would prefer that the 6.1 is discrete and not matrixed. What the heck is with the honking green power-on button?
BTW...I really dig the look of the Sherwood Newcastles.

StevenK

Second Unit
I definitely like the 898! I just wish it were a little cheaper. I guess I can't have everything though.

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
My favorite looking recievers are the HK line..They are totally different in apearance to the other big name brands..

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I like the look of the HKs also, in that price range, but I think the simplest looking ones are Marantz. They are symetrical, and basic looking, also with brushed aluminum face and knobs.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Steven, if you want the cleanest look 6.1 receiver, with the simplest layout, take a look at the B&K AVR-307. In my opinion it is the best receiver in terms of build and sound quality. And it easily has the simplest layout. Here's a pic.
avr307sm.jpg

StevenK

Second Unit
Terrell-

No doubt about the B&K. Droooool.....

but....like I said, i was hoping to find something in $1000 price range.

As for HK, I really dislike the glossy plastic look and the gold buttons. Moreover, HK's sound soft and muddled to me.

I think I'll see if I can get the Onkyo 898 for cheap or maybe that Yammie.

StevenK

Second Unit
Ding-Ding-Ding! I think we have a winner. That Newcastle sure does look nice. I think it hits every one of my qualification...even my minor one of having a silver/titanium finish. Thanks Bobby for the pointer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks