What's new

Cheap ED Plasma's - how good? (1 Viewer)

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
I see all of these sub $1,700 ED Plasma's.

I'm interested in one for the bedroom and don't need anything overly spectacular. Mostly we watch DVD's anyways and have Dish for our service.

Currently have a 36" Toshiba tube in there and have been looking at tube HD's but figuire for the extra money and gained space a Plasma might not be a bad way to go.

Anyone seen some of the Maxtent's and others up close and personal?

John S

Senior HTF Member
I have, and none of the cheaper ED Plasmas, or even the cheaper HD plasmas compare to what a Panasonic ED plasma gives you. I mean, color tracking, black levels, things like that. I still say there is so much more to a display than the raw resolution of it's fix pixel panel.

Judge with your own eyes and preferences though for sure.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

You trade things like colour fidelity and contrast ratio for $$ ..

Think of it like buying a 42" Fujitsu from 3 years ago with that type of technology today.

The good stuff always costs more ...

Now of course what you get for that $1700 is hardly unwatchable. It is simply a casual use TV .. and with it in the bedroom ... it should be fine.

Too many different offbrand names to know anything about reliability though ... get an extended warranty if you are fearful.

REgards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks