What's new

Cartoons on bluray or essential dvd sets from silent to the 60's (Not Disney) (1 Viewer)

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Was trying to get a list of what's out there for cartoons from the silent era to the 60's

Only one I have found are
Tom and Jerry vol 1
Looney Tunes Vol 1 -3
Kino has put out a few , The Ant and the Aardvark (being my favorite) wish they left out the laugh tracks
Chuck Jones Mouse Chronicles

Not really finding much more .

Essential dvd official collections
Popeye vol 1-3 (Looks like only vol 1 was really restored )

Trying to find the best out there or what may be coming out that is not public domain junk,
Felix,Woody,pink panther . I have a cool collection of Tex Avery cartoons from France but it's been edited , Wish they would stop this PC crap and put everything out , Not releasing this stuff at some point no one will care anymore (the fans will all be dead by then)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Keep hoping for Walter Lanz and Popeye's and more Warner Bros and MGM's and Terrytoons and Disney's and Van Buren (particularly the Toonerville Trolley shorts, which apparently will not be included on the upcoming Thunderbean set) and UPA...omg, relatively nothing of the classic animated shorts has come out on Blu, when you figure in all that stuff.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Thunderbean has half a dozen nice blu-rays of vintage cartoons. (Search for Thunderbean blu on Amazon). There are also the Betty Boops from Olive.
That's some rare stuff , awesome . I had a Popeye thunderbean dvd . The do good work . They should get the rights to do a lot of stuff since they really seem to care .

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Having seen a couple of Mickey Mouse cartoons online, I was thinking again last night it was time Disnet started doing Blu Rays of their cartoons from the beginning in some kind of order. Outside of the DVD sets, I got the original Mickey Mouse Laserdisc Volume 1 but missed Volum2. That was a pity if only for today I had the booklet that should have been inside. If that was anything like the 12" square one in V1 it would have been worth having. The DVD sets did not recreate that printed material. I had heard somewhere long ago about Blu Rays but nothing. I don't like the idea of the so-called club that issued some Disney films, bare bones and all on Blu Ray as I can't get them where I live outside USA. Here's hoping in the near future.....

Jeff S in NJ

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Sumberg
i would love to see the Terrytoons released on DVD or Blu-ray. i would also like to see all the cartoons produced by Famous Studios during their early years from the late 40's until they started producing the limited animation work in the late 50's and 60's.

Suzanne.S

Second Unit
Real Name
Suzanne
I definitely concur about Thunderbean. Anything that they release is top notch. Right now they are working on a Complete Cubby Vear Blu and Ub Iwerks' Flip the Frog set on Blu.

They've already released:
Classics from the Van Beuren Studio
Technicolor Dreams and Black and White Nightmares
Ub Iwerks' Willie Whopper
Fleischer Classics Featuring Gulliver's Travels Plus 28 Fantastic Cartoons from the Golden Age of Animation
Private Snafu Golden Classics

And in partnership with Tommy Jose Stathes
Cartoon Roots

Tommy is also working on a couple of new Blu-Rays as well featuring silent cartoons from the Bray Studios.

I own all of the titles above and several of Thunderbean's DVDs. The care that is lavished on these obscure and rare cartoons is a delight to see. They all come with a very infromative booklet and there are commentaries on several cartoons as well. All are available on Amazon.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Outside of the DVD sets, I got the original Mickey Mouse Laserdisc Volume 1 but missed Volum2.

Actually, Volume 2 of Mickey Mouse in Black & White was never released on LD, so you didn't miss it. It was obviously planned, as otherwise it's doubtful they would have put Volume 1 on the cover of the first set.

Yeah, classic cartoons are hard to come by on Blu-ray, outside of a few scattered releases. I have the UPA Jolly Frolics set on DVD and would absolutely love to have those on Blu-ray.

I agree about all of the great things said about Thunderbean releases. It's amazing what he has done with less-than-pristine elements. Steve Stanchfield loves animation and it shows.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
There is a box set of the complete works of Norman McLaren on DVD that is incredible. Also, there are several Bruce Bickford DVDs available.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
i would love to see the Terrytoons released on DVD or Blu-ray. i would also like to see all the cartoons produced by Famous Studios during their early years from the late 40's until they started producing the limited animation work in the late 50's and 60's.
Terrytoons would be really nice .

Suzanne.S

Second Unit
Real Name
Suzanne
I'd like to see the George Pal Puppetoons get a full release. The Puppetoon Movie is out on Blu, with several shorts, but I'd love to see a complete set of the shorts.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Not technically a cartoon,, but both Walmart and Target have had DVDs of Gumby in sets (50s) & (60s vol one)

50s has a Gumby figure and 60s volume one has a Pokey figure

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Having seen a couple of Mickey Mouse cartoons online, I was thinking again last night it was time Disnet started doing Blu Rays of their cartoons from the beginning in some kind of order. Outside of the DVD sets, I got the original Mickey Mouse Laserdisc Volume 1 but missed Volum2. That was a pity if only for today I had the booklet that should have been inside. If that was anything like the 12" square one in V1 it would have been worth having. The DVD sets did not recreate that printed material. I had heard somewhere long ago about Blu Rays but nothing. I don't like the idea of the so-called club that issued some Disney films, bare bones and all on Blu Ray as I can't get them where I live outside USA. Here's hoping in the near future.....
I would love to see the Silly Symphonies come out on Blu, but somehow I just don't think that Disney's heart is in it, unless through their Movie Club moniker.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Yeah, I have that set. The inclusion of THE OLD MILL was awesome, as that is my favorite SS. But I doubt that Disney is going to do with Blu-ray what they did on DVD, which was to release essentially all of their animated shorts over a period of time via the 2-disc tin box sets.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Bakshi's Heavy Traffic, Coonskin and Wizards are all out on blu-ray. Along with Fritz the Cat, which is only on DVD and Last Days of Coney Island (which is only available on pay-per-view streaming in HD), these are the most personal and important films in his filmography.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Was trying to get a list of what's out there for cartoons from the silent era to the 60's

Only one I have found are
Tom and Jerry vol 1
Looney Tunes Vol 1 -3
Kino has put out a few , The Ant and the Aardvark (being my favorite) wish they left out the laugh tracks
Chuck Jones Mouse Chronicles

Not really finding much more .

Essential dvd official collections
Popeye vol 1-3 (Looks like only vol 1 was really restored )

Trying to find the best out there or what may be coming out that is not public domain junk,
Felix,Woody,pink panther . I have a cool collection of Tex Avery cartoons from France but it's been edited , Wish they would stop this PC crap and put everything out , Not releasing this stuff at some point no one will care anymore (the fans will all be dead by then)

Bakshi's Heavy Traffic, Coonskin and Wizards are all out on blu-ray. Along with Fritz the Cat, which is only on DVD and Last Days of Coney Island (which is only available on pay-per-view streaming in HD), these are the most personal and important films in his filmography.

Heavy Metal is as well but that is 1981

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks