1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Car Dealer Stories

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Scott L, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

2. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

My parents are very good friends with someone who has a similar story. When my family and his family were both in Germany Brian (the friend) bought a Porshe, I believe a 911. After only owning it for a short while, he came back to the states. He found a reputable Porshe dealer and took it in for maintenance a few times without incident. One time he took it in for an oil change and while it was there, the owner's 19 year old son took it for a joyride. He lost control and ran into a tree, crushing the whole frontend. Brian wasn't so lucky and the best he managed to do was get it "repaired". Uh huh, sure, the car runs like shit now. The car won't make it more than a couple of miles so all that he does now is keep the thing in his driveway. Quite nice to look at but it isn't worth anything anymore.

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

For some reason or another I find dealerships fascinating. :b But this story is a great read if you got the time:

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying...2/article.html

A journalist goes undercover as a car salesman and exposes their dirty tactics. Reminds me a lot of William Macy's role in Fargo. [​IMG]

4. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron

Isn't that grand theft?

5. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

Ya know, if one had the extra time and money, it would be fun to at least attempt to get that kind of charge against the scum/test driver. Probably wouldn't be possible but certainly something to try and probably get the scum blacklisted from the dealership business.

6. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

You know, I'd never heard the uproar over the Mustang mechanic. What a story!

7. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

8. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Doesn't work for me either.

BTW, Sott,

From the second link:
    Is Mark your brother? [​IMG]

Cees

9. Scott L

Scott L Producer

10. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Wow, I just read that edmunds.com story...highly enjoyable

11. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

After buying my 3rd or 4th car, I came to the realization, which I expressed in the following way : I couldn't outsmart or outwit or outlast a car salesman if I had 7 lifetimes of experience. [​IMG]

Then I bought a house, and now I reckon I'd probably need 77 lifetimes of experience before I'd feel comfortable dealing with the real estate business [​IMG]

12. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

I used Edmunds and the internet to buy our last car. As long as I got within 100.00 of Edmund's TMV, I was happy. Then again, I knew the exact make/model and options without caring about color. Ended up getting a deal out-of-state, and they delivered the car on a Saturday.

Since it was done via the internet, we never saw the car before taking delivery... kind of like mail-order.