Can I add an integrated amp to my receiver to enhance my two channel audio?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by PaulDA, Nov 4, 2004.

1. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    And how would I go about it? I'm pretty sure I've seen, somewhere, an integrated amp (like the Arcam A65+ or Cambridge Audio 640A--though these particular ones may not have what I'm talking about) that had a pass through switch that effectively allowed one to use the integrated in two channel audio mode and, via the switch, use the receiver for HT applications. I'm probably not describing this correctly or being clear about what I'm looking for, but there it is? Any ideas? Oh, and this is purely for future consideration, say in 12-18 months. Budget? Between 700-1500$ US. If it's possible to do what I'm describing. If not, then I'll look into a separate two channel power amp and use my receiver as a pre-amp. Not that I'm dissatisfied with my receiver, I'm just curious about alternatives.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    IMO, the easier of the two ways is to add the separate amp rather than an integrated. Stereo amp is good, monoblocks would be one step better, and should be no problem at that price range. That's what I did, since I do a large percentage of 2ch music listening.

3. Dave G

Dave G Auditioning

Paul,

It can be done, and a lot of folks think it's a good way to integrate better quality 2-channel audio with a home theater. Send me a PM and I'll point you to some threads on other forums that discuss the issue. I don't have enough posts here to be able to include the links in my message.

Dave

P.S. You're Ovation over on AVS, aren't you?

4. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Yes, I am. Named after my guitar.