What's new

Buying textbooks overseas cheaper than in the U.S.! (1 Viewer)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
NY Times registration required:

Students Find $100 Textbooks Cost $50, Purchased Overseas

I've always hated how textbooks are incredibly expensive. I can understand recouping costs, but this is ridiculous!

Even worse is when a professor blindly forces his students to buy newer editions of a textbook, cutting them off from their source of used textbooks. And I get angry when I compare the two editions, and the only differences are the order of the problem exercises at the end of each chapter. :angry:

On the other hand, it's a good thing students are taking advantage of the internet to get around the gouging. Hopefully this will spur publishers to lower their prices. Assuming, of course, that they don't jack the prices everywhere instead.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Oh, and I find it interesting that even some booksellers themselves are purchasing overseas...

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
One of my texts cost $140 in the university bookstore.
one of the students that had taken the class the semester before went to thailand over the summer and saw the exact same textbook for $50. so he bought a suitcase full and sold them for $90. quite the idea, i'm sure it's highly illegal however.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
quite the idea, i'm sure it's highly illegal however.
Assuming he purchased legal copies of the text, he can legally resell them for profit. This is how used-book stores stay in business.

* Only applies to american law. May not be legal elsewhere

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
It shouldn't be illegal to resell books at all. I assume that the student paid the usual GST/duties at least.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
One of my friends at K-State used to sell new textbooks through half.com. He would have the books ordered to be shipped from overseas directly to the purchasers address. He made anywhere from $10-$30 per book, while still saving the buyers a lot of money. He made a grand in no time!

Benny G

Second Unit
Even worse is when a professor blindly forces his students to buy newer editions of a textbook, cutting them off from their source of used textbooks. And I get angry when I compare the two editions, and the only differences are the order of the problem exercises at the end of each chapter.
Even though I've always bought current edition textbooks, 90% of the professors I've had say to not worry about getting the current edition. It's the bookstores that force you to buy new editions.

JordanS

Second Unit
My International Business Textbook was $120 plus tax at my university bookstore.

*angry*:thumbsdown:

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
The bookstores themselves (bad word I know but oh so useful!) charge a hefty fee just for storage space. One of my professors made a $20 reader packet (about 40-50 pages) but when she put it in the bookstore they slapped on an extra $30 just so she could put it in the college bookstore. $50 for a thin reader packet.. what a waste. :thumbsdown:

And let's not forget the $85-$150 books that the bookstores won't buy back at the end of the semester. I hope books online come sooner than I think, and at least 50% cheaper to read them!

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
really, with the student loans that I have, 300 bucks a semester on books is a drop in the bucket.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Wow you only paid $300/semester on books? Back in 1994, I paid $500-600/semester (in Canadian dollars - equal to $350-450 US)...textbook prices have tripled since then. You only taking one course? :eek:

Tuition back then was $1500-$2000/semester, for 7 courses in Engineering.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad people are finding a way to circumvent those price gouging bookstores! I just wish I had access to overseas books when I was in school.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks