What's new

bought an X1 today, think I'm going to take it back (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I've wanted to try out an infocus X1 for quite some time now, so I picked one up today. I'm afraid my livingroom just isn't dark enough during the day to be able to watch it. Movies looked fantastic in the dark, but the combination of daylight performance and rainbow effect giving me a headache make me think it's not going to work out :frowning:
I had it set up with an 8' throw, which gave me about 63" I think, using a white bedsheet as a temporary screen, just something to cover the texture on the wall, not ideal I know.

I snapped a pic while jackie brown was on :D

www.onlinemac.com/users/philip/project.jpg

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Window treatments such as blinds,shades,curtains w/blackout combined with the X1 is still cheaper than an RPTV.

GregK

Screenwriter
Good call Philip, given the Infocus X2 and 4805 should be out soon. Both are reported to have a 4X colorwheel instead of the X1 and 4800's slower 2X colorwheel. This should reduce the occurence of rainbows. Full specs for both are slated to be available in a week or two.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Window treatments aren't an option in this room, the upper windows are left open.

I took it back and purchased a 55" mitsu RPTV (for less than 600 bucks more..) it's a better fit for me I think. Some day when I have a dedicated theater room I'll go rear projection, but for now it's just not right. Some other layout and cabling issues were enough to steer me clear for now.

Two other things I forgot to mention, the picture wasn't terribly stable, it seemed to jump ever 30 seconds or so. Also there were a series of "waves" across the screen, I thought it was my TiVo but it did it on a DVD as well, it was probably the cheap 15 foot Svideo cable they sent with the unit.

I was impressed with how dark the darks were in that pic above, I needed to adjust the settings better, but in a better room layout it would have been great.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I have the X1 and a 55 Mits, and never watch movies on the Mits anymore. But that's just me. I do watch HD more on the Mits since more HD on cable now though.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Well, I got the 55" mitsu in today. They took literally 3 minutes to carry it in, talk aboue speedy.
LOVE the TV so far. Calibrated it with Avia and everything is beautiful, even DTV from my TiVo looks great.

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry

Francois, I think you're wrong on that. Infocus's January 2004 press release says it's in there:

"Also, with Academy-Award(C) winning enhanced Faroudja DCDi(TM) processing, the InFocus ScreenPlay 4805 projects images that are sharper and artifact-free ensuring diagonal lines in the image do not have jagged edges. "

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry
Maybe I spoke too soon; were you referring to the X2 or the 4805?
Has there been any official confirmation from Infocus on the X2?

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
ow! you went from a FP to a RPTV ? the mits is a nice unit but still I was never a fan of RPTV and the limited viewing area. you were on the right track. after the taste of a FP I thought you would have found another to suit your taste.

maybe next time. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks