Blue Beetle (2023)

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Title: Blue Beetle (DC)

Genre: Action, Science Fiction

Director: Ángel Manuel Soto

Cast: Xolo Mariduena, Bruna Marquezine, Belissa Escobedo, Harvey Guillén, George Lopez, Adriana Barraza, Elpidia Carrillo, Damián Alcázar, Susan Sarandon, Raoul Max Trujillo

Release: 2023-8-18

Plot: Jaime Reyes acquires a mysterious scarab that binds to his spine and provides him with a powerful suit of blue alien armor.
FjETjk0UUAAKMmE

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I've seen the trailers for this (most recently just last night), and I'm just failing to connect with this one. I'm sure I'll still go see this in IMAX, but I feel less enthused than I am for the other films on my list to see this summer.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
BB's family members are mostly scene stealers, overall, mostly enjoyable for an origin story.

There's a mid-credit end scene, and an inconsequential scene at the very end of the credits.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The mid-credit scene might have been important if there was any chance at all that it would become relevant in later movies. The movie was decent but will bomb big.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Purely anecdotal but my local theater had about 50-some people in Barbie at 7 PM tonight while Blue Beetle had about three dozen at the same time.

Also anecdotally, I went to another movie last night at "prime time" (7 pm). The lobby was nowhere near as crowded as I was expecting...actually, it was pretty empty considering Blue Beetle, Mission: Impossible, Indy, Oppenheimer and Barbie are all still playing. Our movie time tomorrow (3 pm on a Saturday) is just over half full based on the seating chart. We'll see what happens.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Deadline is predicting a Number 1 debut with almost $30 million beating out Barbie.

I wouldn’t count that golden girl out yet. :D

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If it can achieve $30 million, it should have a good shot at #1. Barbie should drop to around $20 million-ish.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I've been running hot and cold on superhero movies since 1978. For me this one was a bit above average, although it has some of the weaknesses that most in the genre possess. I did find the Mexican-American family compelling, and it seemed more emotional and funny to me than some superhero movies. Good use was made of imax sound. My showing was about 90% empty, but since the budget for Blue Beetle was apparently around $100 million (which seems up there on the screen, as I would have guessed more) maybe it'll do well enough at the box office. My rating: B

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Saw this Thursday and thought it was perfectly... okay.

Moderately entertaining but never better than that. Kinda "by the numbers" feel without anything to make it stand out.

Underused Sarandon, though. The character felt vague and never much more than a cookie cutter madwoman with dreams of power.

I liked references to "Maria la del Barrio". I've loved singer/actor Thalia for decades so felt delighted to see references to her old telenovela!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm kinda bummed there's little chance in seeing this Blue Beetle universe again. It's a fun movie with a touch of social commentary. Susan Sarandon knows the movie she's in and uses her expressive eyes to do a lot of her acting. Every bit of the budget is on the screen, which is a nice surprise.

We enjoyed Fury of the Gods! and The Flash, but Blue Beetle is world's better than either of those films. Even the antics of the family didn't grate on me nearly as much as they could have.

Ah well.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought it was perfectly entertaining. Loved the Hispanic vibe.

Not as good as The Flash but better than Fury Of The Gods and Black Adam.

Sad we’ll most likely never see these characters again.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Btw I thought Sarandon was terrible in this. Seemed like a completely phoned in performance to me. What a waste.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Btw I thought Sarandon was terrible in this. Seemed like a completely phoned in performance to me. What a waste.

To be fair, they didn't give her much of a character. Just a stock villain without much else to her.

BTW, am I the only one who thought they tried to make her look kinda like Hillary Clinton?

Very similar clothes, at least!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I really thought she was fun in her oddball sort of way. Each time her eyes kinda bugged out and got wide, I snickered. Maybe that's the wrong reaction...I dunno.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks